Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Whats reputation?

2old2fast

Was just poking around, in the member's listing there's a box that says "reputation". What does that refer to and how is the "rating" achieved? Just curious.

dave

Was just poking around, in the member's listing there's a box that says "reputation". What does that refer to and how is the "rating" achieved? Just curious.

dave
Wild guess, The higher the number means you haven't widdled away at the patience of the moderators or Mike , Cheat steal or lie. H*ll I don't know...ruggs

:rofl: Ruggs, that's a pretty apt description. And yes, I am joking.

Dave, reputation is kind of a dangerous thing to have on a forum and this is the first time I've ever used it on one of my own forums. But it's modified a bit, to better fit what I feel it should be.

If you see a post that you think is noteworthy, you can give it positive rep. If you read a post that has helped answer a question for you, or has helped you with your T, you can give it positive rep.

Most forums also allow negative rep to be given, but rare is the site where that doesn't cause melt-downs. So I've disabled the negative button.

One thing I find about our members is that a lot of forum features go overlooked and unused. I don't know if some of the features exceed people's comfort levels, or if they simply are not used to participating on full-feature forums. So that positive rep button doesn't get used much at all. I hope people will see this explanation and consider using it when they feel it is appropriate.

Maybe I need to do a quick tutorial on how some of the features work, so people can get a better handle on what they're all about.

Mike, thanx for the reply, Like I said ,just curious. Since work has been so slow I have a little more time to be on here & poke around, & someday I might even figure out how to type and use a computer, but neither of those things are likely!

dave

Mike, thanx for the reply, Like I said ,just curious. Since work has been so slow I have a little more time to be on here & poke around, & someday I might even figure out how to type and use a computer, but neither of those things are likely!

dave

Strange, if you go to the members list and check out "reputation", many of the members that never ever post have a reputation of 10, whereas many of the regulars have a reputation of 0. How did this happen?

Just wonderring...

Corley

Mike, is that what the star rating at the top of the post is all about?
No, the stars are there to allow members the ability to rate a topic. The reputation scheme allows members to add positive rep to individual members.

Strange, if you go to the members list and check out "reputation", many of the members that never ever post have a reputation of 10, whereas many of the regulars have a reputation of 0. How did this happen?

Just wonderring...
Corley, the zero post members with rep are members who joined the site when we were still on vBulletin software. The vB devs figured they would start everyone off with 10 rep points, at the time of registration. I had the system disabled with that software, but when we converted the database, the rep points came with everything else. It never occurred to me that had happened.

I just flushed the rep cache and index and reset everyone back to zero.

Some people place a lot of importance on things like post counts and reputation counts. Personally, I pay it no attention at all. I can't tell you if I have 5 posts or 500. Those number really mean nothing to me. But for those who do find the counts important, things like rating posts and adding rep can be a way of saying Thank You without the need to type anything at all.

No, the stars are there to allow members the ability to rate a topic. The reputation scheme allows members to add positive rep to individual members.

Corley, the zero post members with rep are members who joined the site when we were still on vBulletin software. The vB devs figured they would start everyone off with 10 rep points, at the time of registration. I had the system disabled with that software, but when we converted the database, the rep points came with everything else. It never occurred to me that had happened.

I just flushed the rep cache and index and reset everyone back to zero.

Some people place a lot of importance on things like post counts and reputation counts. Personally, I pay it no attention at all. I can't tell you if I have 5 posts or 500. Those number really mean nothing to me. But for those who do find the counts important, things like rating posts and adding rep can be a way of saying Thank You without the need to type anything at all.
Just so you know Mikeyou have 1,975 posts.LOL

Ha! That came from a site I used to co-admin. The owner of the site had come up with all manner of member ranks. New Member, Junior Member, Senior Member wasn't good enough for him, he to have all these crazy names and ranks. Even forum moderators were not exempt, as they were all Mod Squad members. :rolleyes: And whenever new members appeared, they wouldn't like all the lower class ranks, so they would all become post whores. You know the type. I open a topic to ask if someone knows the torque on the center shaft nut on an ACME Smoke Grinder and seventeen people have to post to the topic (quoting my entire post, no less), just to say, "no". :wall:

Ha! That came from a site I used to co-admin. The owner of the site had come up with all manner of member ranks. New Member, Junior Member, Senior Member wasn't good enough for him, he to have all these crazy names and ranks. Even forum moderators were not exempt, as they were all Mod Squad members. :rolleyes: And whenever new members appeared, they wouldn't like all the lower class ranks, so they would all become post whores. You know the type. I open a topic to ask if someone knows the torque on the center shaft nut on an ACME Smoke Grinder and seventeen people have to post to the topic (quoting my entire post, no less), just to say, "no". :wall:

A group of pilots I hang out with has it's own "club" which consists of a hat and bragging rights. we call ourselves the Lakeview Airforce and the hats are all the same. Large star and "Lakeview Airforce" on the front and name and rank on the back The rank is easy because we're ALL Generals. makes rating much easier, and I highly recomend the system to others.

General Camp
Lakeview Airforce

That certainly makes sense to me.

I've been giving some serious consideration to flying lessons. It spent years on my List of Things I Know I Will Never Be Able To Afford, but I'm really wanting to move it over to my Bucket List. It looks like it could possibly be about as much fun as a feller can have with his britches on. A pretty good friend of mine has flown for years and is really encouraging me to go for it. This guy is a real character, who is always looking to go fast. 70 years old, but he has 3 of his retired USAC Silver Crown cars sitting in his shops (yes, that was plural), along with a Vega bracket racer and a P38 belly tank Bonneville car. Larry Rice won the 1977 Silver Crown Championship driving one of Dave's cars, but Dave still drives the Bonneville car and the Vega.. He owns a '37 Cord he restored, a Cobra, a '40 Ford, a '32 Ford highboy and that barely scratches the surface. I go out to his place and just drool. He still owns the '60 Corvette he bought new, when he got out of high school. But he also owns 6 or 7 planes and makes a habit of flying every Sunday morning, when the weather's favorable. And he's just about got me convinced to give it a try.

I've been giving some serious consideration to flying lessons. It spent years on my List of Things I Know I Will Never Be Able To Afford, but I'm really wanting to move it over to my Bucket List. It looks like it could possibly be about as much fun as a feller can have with his britches on.

my mother learned to fly well into her 60s with little effort, so you still have time I recon.
I recomend you learn all they teach you, but etch this into your brain permanent and you'll be fine:
"airspeed; altitude; brains. pick any two you prefer, and you'll stay alive."

General Camp
Lakeview airforce

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back