Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wheel distance apart.

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Rear end is a Jag.
I'm have 16x12's with 6" backspace right now. I like that it covers the hubs. I was looking for new wheels with 6" bs. But I noticed that with the 6" bs the rear wheels sit at 49" apart and the front wheels are 51" apart.
Does this matter?
I'm thinking maybe the new rear wheels should be 5" bs.

I am no expert at chassis but I bought several books on chassis building before I started my design, and got some advice from a few long time builders. It seems they all agree that the only thing that really matters is that your front wheels fall in the tracks of your rear wheels. Imagine you where backing up, the front wheels should ride in the tracks of your rear tires. if you drew a line straight forward from the outside and inside of your rear tires, the front should not stick out past, or inside that line. So if you are 51 inside to inside on the front, and 49 in the rear with 12 inch wheels, seems to me like you're right where you should be with the 6"bs. And I'm with you on covering the hubs. It just looks a lot cleaner tucked into the wheels.

I too am no expert (although I play one on TV), but the front and rear tracks aren't critical for us. I had my rear wheels made so the tires would have just enough clearance to not touch the body when zooming around:
P6210855+-copy.jpg

I decided to go with 5.5 backspace instead of the 6 I have on my current wheels. The new wheel I'll be ordering are 17x9.5. I'll run 275x55R17 tires.
Out side of wheels the front 63 1/8 across and the rear with 5.5 bs will be 67 3/8 across. I can live with that.

I too am no expert (although I play one on TV), but the front and rear tracks aren't critical for us. I had my rear wheels made so the tires would have just enough clearance to not touch the body when zooming around:

Where did you get the hubs? if you don't mind me asking.

I decided to go with 5.5 backspace instead of the 6 I have on my current wheels. The new wheel I'll be ordering are 17x9.5. I'll run 275x55R17 tires. Out side of wheels the front 63 1/8 across and the rear with 5.5 bs will be 67 3/8 across. I can live with that.

Where did you get the hubs? if you don't mind me asking.

Ah, that is a complete Halibrand IRS, one of the few they made around 1992 before the company fell on hard times and quit the IRS business. Today there are no parts, no documentation, no tech support for this unit. Fortunately it was built for racing, and should last forever in my bucket.

What are the centers of the front and rear tires? That is what is best to consider. IMHO

Jim

Called the wheel place. Their going to check and call me back in the morning.

Why would you not want the hubs to show? Here is what I did to mine:

How long do you think that that level of shine will hold up underneath the car?

How long do you think that that level of shine will hold up underneath the car?
Been installed for two years ... just normal wiping and\or cleaning. No different than all the other shiney stuff on the T-Bucket.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back