Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where to place jack...

Bubblehead

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello all. Now that I have the car home I am able to "play" a bit. I bought some ramps yesterday and put the car up on them (with wheel chocks in back) only to realize that did not help much. Still not a lot of room to get under the car with the side pipes and other interference in front (especially when on a creeper). While I was looking underneath I realized there are not too many choices on where to put my floor jack if I decided to jack it up and put jack stands under it. So...what are some good jacking points on these cars with fiberglass bodies and not a lot of accessible frame work? Thanks in advance! -Glenn

Yes, they have those pads that go on the ends of your jackstands....but I save all those good leftover radiator hoses, and chop them up with those trusty pr. of old 'super scissors' that they said back 20 years ago that you could cut pennys in two with....
Every little bit helps and that radiator hose material is pretty tough....I also use pieces of the old radiator hoses to protect hoses that rub agianst the frame or close to headers to act as a protector. Cut little small pieces to go under headlight mounts and electronic ign boxes, also....
I have a old shoebox full of pieces in 2 of my old rollarounds....

Hello all. Now that I have the car home I am able to "play" a bit. I bought some ramps yesterday and put the car up on them (with wheel chocks in back) only to realize that did not help much. Still not a lot of room to get under the car with the side pipes and other interference in front (especially when on a creeper). While I was looking underneath I realized there are not too many choices on where to put my floor jack if I decided to jack it up and put jack stands under it. So...what are some good jacking points on these cars with fiberglass bodies and not a lot of accessible frame work? Thanks in advance! -Glenn
Good jack points are under the center section of the rear end, and the front axleclose to where the spring attaches, then use your jactstands with those pads....on the rear axle tubes and the front axle.
If I don't run the car for along time, I put it up on jackstands and let the suspension hang free....but if your just sitting it up for the winter, it isn't necessary....

I do like screaming metal does & in the winter I push it foreward or backwards a foot or two. trying to avoid a flat spot on my tires . Seems to worrk good...

Yes, they have those pads that go on the ends of your jackstands....but I save all those good leftover radiator hoses, and chop them up with those trusty pr. of old 'super scissors' that they said back 20 years ago that you could cut pennys in two with....
Every little bit helps and that radiator hose material is pretty tough....I also use pieces of the old radiator hoses to protect hoses that rub agianst the frame or close to headers to act as a protector. Cut little small pieces to go under headlight mounts and electronic ign boxes, also....
I have a old shoebox full of pieces in 2 of my old rollarounds....

That rad hose idea is outstanding. I bet you could just cut it and wrap it right around the axle. I will have to check the stash for some pieces.

That rad hose idea is outstanding. I bet you could just cut it and wrap it right around the axle. I will have to check the stash for some pieces.
Yea Keep, the hoses pieces fit my front axle perfectly, I trimmed mine nice and neat, (Its hard to get a nice, square cut on the hose, even with hose cutters) and siliconed the pads to my front axle and my rear axle tubes, that way they are always there.
I cut them wide enough as to fit the width of the pad on my Big floor jack....
Besides, folks ask me about them all the time, But I claim Diplomatic Immunity and ask 'What rubber pieces?' Hahaha....

Last edited:
I had even used the hose idea, and cut a piece of 3 1/2" pipe 1/2 in two, and siliconed the hose material to the inside, and welded a piece on it the fit inside my floor jack pad. One of the guys in the shop saw it, and started using it on the Altereds....made about 6 more, then made some for the rest of the guys in the shop and put some carpet inside the tube instead of the rubber hose. I told him to make me several more....they (mine)all disappeared....so I just siliconed mine on.
One the rear axle tubes, I just put the gap side up....but one day I'm gonna go by Napa and see if I can't buy a hose thats the same size as my axle tube, cut and split it, so it won't have that gap up at the top....just for looks....

When working under the rear I use my floor jack under the rear end center section and then support the car with padded jack stands under the axle tubes. For the front, I have a small floor jack (to go under my spring behind front axle) and use the spring mount as a jack point. I can then place my jack stands under the frame on both sides. As we all know, getting under a car supported only by a jack is an accident waiting to happen. Most of you have probably seen the photo of a young Norm Gabroski working under his car while it is hanging from a chain hoist with no jack stands. Fortunately, there was no mishap and Norm was around for many more interesting years.

Yea Keep, the hoses pieces fit my front axle perfectly, I trimmed mine nice and neat, (Its hard to get a nice, square cut on the hose, even with hose cutters) and siliconed the pads to my front axle and my rear axle tubes, that way they are always there.
I cut them wide enough as to fit the width of the pad on my Big floor jack....
Besides, folks ask me about them all the time, But I claim Diplomatic Immunity and ask 'What rubber pieces?' Hahaha....

Gotta hand it to you...thats a damn good idea to use that hose. I will definately be using that trick on my car this winter! :cool:

Got the car up in the air last night for the first time using my floor jack under the rearend (pumpkin) with a pad on the jack. I got the back tires about 12" off the shop floor so I had room to get under the exhaust pipes near the center or the car and then realized my jack stands (standard jack stands) are nowhere near tall enough to fit under the rear axle. I guess I will either need to get some taller jack stands or put set them on some blocks. I won't get under the car if it just up on a floor jack. Maybe when I was younger, but with age comes wisdom. -Glenn

Got the car up in the air last night for the first time using my floor jack under the rearend (pumpkin) with a pad on the jack. I got the back tires about 12" off the shop floor so I had room to get under the exhaust pipes near the center or the car and then realized my jack stands (standard jack stands) are nowhere near tall enough to fit under the rear axle. I guess I will either need to get some taller jack stands or put set them on some blocks. I won't get under the car if it just up on a floor jack. Maybe when I was younger, but with age comes wisdom. -Glenn

NEVER get under a car without proper jack stands.

Jim

Wusses! All you need is a couple 4x4's... :eek:

safety_prop_shaft.jpg

I bought a used quicklift, makes working on the cars so much less of a pain. Doing the body work on the coupe was much easier with bottom of the body about waist height. for working under the car the height is perfect when working on a creeper. when its not in use I just park the car on it. Best tool money I've spent.

I know that the usual places don't carry the tall Jackstands, ie, WalMart, Autozone, O'Reillys, Advanced Auto Parts, Pepboys, etc....go by Tractor Supply, they have them.
Doublecheck you dimensions between the floor and the bottom of axle tube when your at the height you want to be....

On the truck blocked up with 2 2x4's, with friends like that, who the hell needs enemies....:confused:
In WWII, when they needed to work on a jeep out in the field, they'd just flip it up on its side....since the whole side of the jeep was flat, it worked.

Last edited:
Just found some 15" to 24" lift jack stands on Amazon with free shipping. Those and some good strong wood blocks underneath should work fine. These are 6 ton, but I don't think you can over do it with something like this. Heck, I will get it high enough now to invite some friends over and have a party under the car! It would be really nice to have a pit in the shop like they do at Jiffy Lube or one of those other drive in places. May have to work off of a step stool on occasion but sure would be easy to just drive over the pit and get to work.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back