Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Why aren't there very many original model T front axles on T-Buckets?

ICURAbuckethead2

I'm new to T-buckets and this forum, so I'll be asking a few dumb-new-guy questions. Here's a fine example of one right now:

Why aren't there very many original model T front axles on T-Buckets? It seems like it would be a natural thing to do. The reason I'm asking is because I already have a complete model T front end with wire-spoked wheels.

I'm guessing it's because it was simply easier/faster to get an axle from another car that already came with front brakes than it is to try to add them to the originals. Is this the main reason or are there others?

Here's a couple of pictures of what some enterprising folks at The Model T Ford Club of America have done. They are restricted by their peers (and their own) desire to keep things as OEM as possible, so they have sometimes been poo-pooed for modern thinking (it's understandable- not an insult). However, as a Hot Rodder, I am under no such restrictions.

I think I could use a stock model T front axle if I beefed up the hairpins to handle the brake torque. After seeing Henry's promotional pictures of an axle that was twisted 8 times without snapping, I'm guessing it won't break. But it worries me that I haven't seen them under hardly any T-buckets. That, coupled with the fact that I am so "green" leads me to wonder if I've missed something obvious or important. I'd like to be safe for my girls and others on the road.

brakes model t.jpg
brakes model t disc.jpg

The disk set up looks super-simple. Just make a bracket to correctly position most any small brake caliper from a car or bike. Turn a disk to size in a lathe, drill some holes and, "Wallah! Bob's your uncle."

Are there any other reasons not to use the original Model T front axles?

Thanks for any advice.

I can't say for sure about strength, but I know there are no effective commercial brake kits and no easy swaps. but my best guess is that I'm not the only one who thinks they're UUUUUgly. :)

I can't say for sure about strength, but I know there are no effective commercial brake kits and no easy swaps. but my best guess is that I'm not the only one who thinks they're UUUUUgly. :)
Look at how wide the king pin boss is and how thin it is.Thats not going on my car for sure.

Look at how wide the king pin boss is and how thin it is.Thats not going on my car for sure.

Sure seems a bit weak to go 70mph down the road with. Real Model T's go what... about 30mph top speed down hill?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back