Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield frame ideas

Chickie

It's time to think about my body. I want to use a one piece windshield. When I look in the catalogs I just get lost. How have you done it. If you can give me some part numbers to help in my search. I am really having fun with this build. My wife won't go to the shop. See the enjoyment.

Do you already have your posts? If not there are a few posts on here on how folks built them. Here is my submission, about halfway down the page:

http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/keepers-build.5850/page-9

hmmmmm I cannot seem to find the frame itself, but here is what I did on the table saw:
28%20aug%202011%20007.JPG_595.jpg

Keeper's windshield came out great. Just as a point of reference, a stock frame is 7/8" tubing. Most of the ones I've used in the past have been stock frames with 2-1/2" cut from each. This will give you a 15 to 16 inch one piece unit.

Ron

Ron

If you get just a little bit crooked running that stuff through a table saw and it kicks back you're going to have a 3/4" aluminum spear sticking out your back. Just sayin', be careful.

My frame was made from 3/4 bar also, but I didn't have the stones to do mine on the table saw :D . I assume you used a finish blade turned backwards?? I've cut sheet alum with my skill saw that way many times and it works surprisingly well.
Don't forget to add some beef to the area where your support rods will mount. 3/4 rod doesn't give enough material for threading into otherwise. I turned out some alum pieces on my lathe and had them welded on when the frame was welded.

391885221.jpg

Russ

California Custom Roadsters has the windshield frame material for sale. Check their forum listing for the part number. I bought some for my windshield frame but have not started to build it yet. Have practiced cutting aluminum on my miter saw and found slow and steady feed to work best

If you get just a little bit crooked running that stuff through a table saw and it kicks back you're going to have a 3/4" aluminum spear sticking out your back. Just sayin', be careful.

No kidding, thats why it took me a month or two to get up the courage to do it!!

I drilled the ends of the aluminum, and screwed it to a 2x4. That way it stayed straight, and gave me more control over the whole process.

I have been thinking of doing something along those lines. Could you elaborate on how you used the wood to keep the aluminum bar from rotating on the table saw. Do you mean that a piece of 2X4 at each end of the bar, or 1 2X4 along the length of the bar.

My plan is to miter the edge of a 1x4 the same size of the slot in the bar and clamp the bar to the wood to keep the bar from turning when I 45 the corners.

I have been thinking of doing something along those lines. Could you elaborate on how you used the wood to keep the aluminum bar from rotating on the table saw. Do you mean that a piece of 2X4 at each end of the bar, or 1 2X4 along the length of the bar.

I wish I still had the 2x4. I bought as straight 2x4 (as straight as I could find anyway). I split it into 40 or so inch pieces.

I cut a dado down the middle of the 2x4 wide enough to hold the frame 3/4 rod. I did mine in two pieces of about 40 inches. I drilled a hole at each end about 1/4 deep all the way through. This allowed me to screw through the wood and aluminum fixing it in place. Just make sure its shallow enough that the dado blades will not catch the screw!

I used my carbide tipped dados to cut the 5/16 by 3/8 slot. I called the glass company first and asked them what they wanted the groove to be, so yours may be a but different. I took it in 3 very shallow passes. Turned out to be easier then I expected.

I was scared of the rod becoming a missle, I have a very healthy respect for my tablesaw and setup all the safety gears I could to ensure a safe operation. Feather boards, hold down boards to keep the aluminum pressed to the blades.

If you can set this up using a router table you will be a whole lot safer. When I teach rookies about table saw safety I start by telling them that the saw does only one thing - it makes a blade go around in a circle. You can leave it on all day, it will not chase you around the shop, it will not come and find you in the bathroom. Everything that happens with that saw, either good or bad, is YOUR doing.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back