Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wooden body reinforcement

Happy new year everyone. I need help to direct me to any website that shows how to build a reinforcing structure for the interior of a T-Bucket. Please don't send me to the low budget blogs or whatever that shows a cobbled together 2x4 structure.I would also not want to work in foam which has also been suggested. I am a wood worker and prefer to work in that medium. I will be using 3/4" marine ply for the structure and a compatable adhesive. I can figure this out for myself but would prefer not to reinvent the wheel ( so to speak ).I would like to build a removable seat for storage also. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Hi Mike
Have a search through the threads. there are a couple of great ones on building an interior complete with pics of the woodwork.

Gerry

I just searched for "wooding the body" and the thing came up as "one of your words was less than 4 letters long" DUH Yes the word "the" is less than 4 letters long. What Happened?

These are pics of a car I did 15 years ago. It's still on the road and the wood work has held up just fine. This isn't the only way to wood a body but it's the way I do mine, fitted pieces, Kitty hair backup and glass tabbing.

StansT004Small.jpg

StansT002Small-1.jpg

StansT003Small.jpg

This body way from Speedway, a delux body with an openning door, a waste of money in my book.

Hope this helps.

Ron

To me it is like wooding the inside of a stock tin car body, why???? it only is holding paint, and the body is plenty well strong enough in the needed to be strong areas, I have had mine on the road of hard Knocks for over 20 years and no need for wood.??? Just a complete waste of time and money IMHO :) besides, I would hate to be stabbed to death with all that wood in a bad situation, it for sure will not save you in any way...

Wooding provides an easy way to attach upholstery, and provides a bit of stiffness/support where needed, but otherwise, not so important as some would like to make out. As for the tin body analogy, well, I have a model A with lots of wood that is structural, and actually holds the tin panels together, so that wouldn't be a good example, but a later body that is structurally sound without wood is probably what Ted is referring to. Also, if you examine a lot of the wood in my model A pickup cab, you 'll find it is only about an inch square, and not a 2X4 as many use in the glass body wooding. It is a fairly hard wood though... I opt for minimal wooding in key areas only. JMHO...
Corley

They have now Days such good working Velcro, it holds super for any of your uph. needs... and I do not know where else you think the body needs more strength??? Ad a small amount of Glass mat if you need/want it stronger, need is not the right word here... :)

The first time I saw the side of a body flex when someone climbed in, I became a believer in wooding a body.... Guess we been down this road before .... I'm for wood!!

Ron

heres one for the woodworkers. I was told a long time ago that the only wood with the same expansion rate as Glass was American Oak. Anything else can cause cracking of the glass due to the difference in expansion. My body has extra layer of glass and no wood. Its heavy but very strong.
Gerry

I wooded mine because the body WAS thin and like TED said velcro interiors now. Have you seen Speedways new interior package? Sure seems easier that the old style TOTAL Interior kit. I wish it came in more colors though.

I used pictures of Total Performance's wood kit to do mine. 1X4X3/4 pine slotted in rear to form to body. Held in place with bondo, then glassed with mat. Very stong but heavy. Had one wrecked and held up quite well when layed on side after hitting a guardrail.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back