Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Would like some opinions about insulation inside the body...

Kaaso

A friend of mine suggested I put some type of waterproof insulation (Dynamat, Lizardskin, etc.) inside the body before the interior goes in, to cut down on heat transfer from the engine.

My question is....is heat an issue inside one of these? Does the insulation help with noise by possibly directing it around the body instead of coming thru? It gets hot here in Texas so even a little bit of help with the heat might be worth the extra cost. This is my first build and would like some input?
Any thoughts?

Casey

Can't imagine it would make a significant difference in noise or heat in an open car. If you have a top...maybe a little. I've driven my bucket with an interior and with just the bare body and it seemed the same. But sound deadener under the carpet could cut road noise.

It makes no difference. If you have fully covered the inside wood with fiberglass your wood will be protected from water.

Saying that, I still sprayed the bottom and inside of my tub with sound deadener for a couple of reasons, it made clean up the bottom of the bucket easier, and on the off chance it would cut down some of the heat transfer. It did not really make a difference on the sound but it saved me a huge amount of body work when it came time to smooth things out for paint. So that alone was worth it for me!

Most of the noise is road, tire noise, and exhaust. There is also wind noise. Most buckets run the exhaust outside the frame and body, so there is no exhaust heat under the car. I don't think you will see any difference in interior heat with any insulation.

Can't see it making much difference at all. Open car, big tires, loud exhaust and as Ron says wind noise. Now if you have a track T with the engine all enclosed you might have some heat issues but with the open engine compartment virtually all the heat is directed around the body as you move. Most of your problem with heat is going to be from that big ball in the sky. Good luck with the build and enjoy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back