Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

YellowBullet Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

one finger john

This will not be a conversation started to discuss the Bullet's philosophy. The only section that can be offensive is the TOBT section with No censorship or moderators. The other sections are informative and the tech sections are very good.
What I am asking is where is this Canadian take over and now the ominous and foreboding change of character (censorship) and the forth coming targeted advertising (Depends on the HAMB?) will lead to a sea change in the "business" of the internet. Will this monetization change and ruin the internet or is it a picture of things to come.
Is this the "New Normal"?
Mike?

I have to say that I have maybe visited that site on maybe three or four occasions, ever. I've no idea what their editorial stance was, or what it is now intended to be, moving forward.

What difference does it make where the new owners reside? I don't see how that can have any effect on such a large site. What the general public rarely understands is that owning, operating and administering a discussion forum is rather akin to herding cats. Deaf cats. Cats with long claws. Cats with voracious appetites. If a forum is allowed to grow, willy-nilly (and most are), then whoever is sitting at the helm is actually just along for the ride, more than anything else.

What is wrong with targeted advertising? For anyone who gets all indignant about a Web site owner using contextual advertising, I have just one question - when you go to work each day, do you do so with the anticipation of being compensated for your labors, or do you just volunteer your time? How many of you spent your life working for no pay, yet managed to provide for yourselves and your families? What is so different about a Web site administrator trying to earn a living from those labors? Do you people really think these sites are free and run themselves? I really don't think you want to get me started down that road.

As for any change in what is and is not fair game to be posted on a discussion forum, tread carefully when you start tossing about the word, 'censorship'. People who start howling about their misunderstood 'freedom of speech' rarely have ever taken the time to actually read the First Amendment of the Constitution. At the end of the day, this is my house. And if people want to be welcomed into my house, then they will respect the rules of my house. If they do not, then they are no longer welcome. What gives anyone the right to visit any privately-owned and privately-operated discussion forum with the misconception they can say or do what they please? The First Amendment prevents Congress from abridging free speech. It doesn't say a word about privately-owned Web sites.

I am afraid I am just not familiar enough with that other forum to understand the rest of your post. How does the sale of that forum bring about a sea change in the "business" of the Web? I don't get what that means. How do you think monetization of a single Web site might 'ruin' the Web? I thought that forum had long sold advertising for specific forum sections, so what is really changing? How many Web sites do you visit in a day that are not somehow monetized? I've news for everyone, Web sites can be money pits and if they are not monetized, they are not going to last very long.

My take on it? I hope the original owner managed to sell for enough to make his efforts worth his while. My guess is that he might have been lucky enough to get out whilst the getting was good, which means he ended up taking a bath. I hope not, for his sake.

I watched things on there for a short while, It's just like most any business ,the customers will decide if it is successful or not . If they purchased it they can do whatever they want with it, participate if you want or find somewhere else to spend your time.Its not as if car people have a tough time finding things on the Internet to read. We tend to have a short attention span anyway, after all we watch videos of Babies singing and dogs doing stupid things, how smart can we be. Just my opinion ,I am almost always wrong.

I watched things on there for a short while, It's just like most any business ,the customers will decide if it is successful or not .
Well, they certainly seem to be taking a tremendous hit. It seems a member of YellowBullet has opened an alternative forum site, which in just four days has attracted 3,480+ users and 17,400+ posts. Sounds to me like there was a lot of love and loyalty on YellowBullet. Not.

See, I don't get what makes sites like that so attractive. If members logged into this site and found messages that consist of nothing more than the F-bomb being posted a couple hundred times in a single message, or another member suggesting someone shove a cactus up their bum, would that make this site more attractive? I can tell you one thing for certain; we're never going to find out. :coffee:

Everything I needed to know about T's I found here, at Spirit, RPM, [both sponsors] and in some books. No need nor desire to look anywhere else. Why look elsewhere when we are already looking at the best. Kind of like trading that big, juicy steak for a small, burnt burger.

You're laughing, but it is the truth! Someone makes a comment like that to another member of this site, their user account has about 2 nanoseconds of life left in it.

I can't make up my mind if having an iota of concern for that site's future is a joke or an illness. When a forum describes itself as a place where the weak are killed and eaten, I fail to see any redeeming value in the place.

Never having been a real big fan for mention of other forums in the automotive niche being made here, I think I am just going to quietly lock this one down and leave it at that. I just don't see anything good coming from this one.

kittenssave.jpg

I was just laughing at the mental image I got from the one phrase taken out of context. I couldn't agree more with the intent of your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back