Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

350 Chevy rebuild

akitagandy

Well I pulled one of my 350s down today to get it ready to build and what a shock it was to see it was all std and in perfect shape and it had a Lunati cam in it and the lobes were still black not even broke in good.I pulled this out of a 65 Chevy pickup that I baught 20 years ago, didn't know anything about it so I put a new engine in it the day I got it, put the old one in a plastic bag and shoved it in a corner so all that I'm going to do is put rings,bearings,and gaskets in it and go :lol:

It's going in my new T
100_1447.jpg

Hey Akitagrandy...........whats the motor over there on the stand?????????
Cool on the motor..........look on the front of the cam....get the #'s off it and Call Joe Lunati to see what ya got.........if its a serious knotstick.....have the valvesprings checked while you freshen the engine up.............if they're weak any at all..............replace them..............

It's just a small cam

Hydraulic, smooth idle. Good all around cam for pickup or every day driver.
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/280
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 204/214
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .420/.442
  • LSA/ICL: 112/108
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 900-4800
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The one on the stand is a 78 corvette 350

akitagandy said:
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/280
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 204/214
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .420/.442
  • LSA/ICL: 112/108
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 900-4800
--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the same spec's for my Cam and man it has a crap load of torque.

Nice looking with the body on the frame. What kind of back are you Putting on?

A few years back I bought a 47 Ford Coupe that had been sitting in a barn for 25 years. After cleaning out the 200 pounds of rat droppings and chewed interior I pulled the 65 327 with double hump heads.
The intake was covered with masking tape that had been eaten by rats so I pulled the heads. The cylinders that had open valves were rusted and full of debris.
All the pistons were new as were the main and rod bearings. All the valves were new with new hardened seats installed.

The reason I went into this is that when I removed the cam, I had to beat it out because the uneven load of the valve springs for 25 years had caused it to deform and it was warped. I'm sure the valve springs have had it too.

I still have the engine and intend to use it in my next project.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back