Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

396 with 700r4

Francis Blake

A good friend gave me a 396bbc said it needs freshing out (I`ll go completly through it) I have a 700r4 was wondering if they will fit togeather thanks for any help:confused:.Francis

Francis Blake said:
A good friend gave me a 396bbc said it needs freshing out (I`ll go completly through it) I have a 700r4 was wondering if they will fit togeather thanks for any help:confused:.Francis

The 700R4 should live in a light car behind the BBC. However, if you are going to running it hard, you need to upgrade some of the internals to handle the abuse. I recommend BowTie Overdrives. Good bunch of folks.

You'll need the correct brackets for the TV cable and I'd change the PCS wiring to a max pressure type.

Thanks guys :welcome: Its just gonna be a cruser allready have the kit so it can be ran without the computer. have a friend thats a transmission repairman will get him to do the tranny work on it.:bow:....Francis

I also use a 2500 rpm lock up converter. It is for a 4 cyl s-10 truck. Run the lock up thru a brake pedal cruise controll switch. As soon as you hit the brakes it unlocks the converter.

i had a 700r4 behind my 427 in an 80 chevy truck... had about $1200 in the tranny.. i even had a pressure guage on the transmission to set the tv cable.. i made 2 passes down hwy 41 and blew 2nd gear out of it...it had the planetary setup, corvette servos, and an extra steel and clutch plate.
it was behind alot of power though, and pushing alot of weight also..

i dont know if it was me, or the guy who build the transmissions fault. so i pulled it and put a tubo 400 in it..

if you have a mild engine go with it, even in a light roadster behind alot of power it might be ok.. i know i'll never use a 700r4 again..if anything i would use a turbo350 or 400 and add an overdrive unit on one of those..

I too had trouble with a 700R...

it was a factory install in my '91 Silverado that I bought new. I had trouble with it from the get go and then it finally let go completely and left me stranded at about 60,000 miles.

We also had a 700 R in a Camaro that we had race prepared for the Big Bend Open Road Race in Texas just last week. That was particularly disappointing as the car was running in first place in the finale leg of the race. That is the last thing that I'll have to do with a 700R. They may be alright for just easy cruising be when you need something to really perform they are not the way to go in my opinion.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back