Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

9" Ford Rear Gearing

Mr. Fixit

For those of you running a Ford (or other 9") what gearing is proven with a T-Bucket. I realized that it could be any gearing, but since the cars are light and you typically don't go much above highway speed, I am wondering what a good combo is??

Thanks..

Steve i have an 8" in mine and am running the stock 2.73 and have no problem out of the hole and driving freeway speeds.

For those of you running a Ford (or other 9") what gearing is proven with a T-Bucket. I realized that it could be any gearing, but since the cars are light and you typically don't go much above highway speed, I am wondering what a good combo is??

Thanks..

I have a Ford 8" and I'm currently running 3.55 but I'm about to switch to 4.10. Alot depends on how much torque your engine makes and what the tranny gears are and how tall your rear tires are.

I started out with a 3.73 but couldn't pass too many gas stations with it. It would really boil the tires though. I changed over to a 3.00 gear and I could get about 100-120 miles from a tank of gas. I didn't want to turn those big meats over anymore but that was okay. I got all of that out of my system the first year.

Thank you all for the input. I did neglect to mention that I am running a Th-400 behind a 400 hp 350 Chevy with and the meatballs are 31" x 18" I am thinking going 411 or 430 since the off the line was slugish Thoughts??

4.00 or 4.11 is a little low for cars this light. Here is a good chart for speed Your r's are going to be about 2500.
60mph.gif

What gears are you currently running.400 hp in a lite Tbucket shouldn't be sluggish. Thats like 800hp in a 4000 lbs car.I've seen guys with 250hp with 29" tires smoke them with 3.08 gears! If you are wanting it to launch hard then you don't want the tires to break free. Your sluggish maybe from something else!

4.00 or 4.11 is a little low for cars this light. Here is a good chart for speed Your r's are going to be about 2500.
60mph.gif

Great chart, do you know if it assumes a 1 to 1 final trans drive?

Thanks,

What gears are you currently running.400 hp in a lite Tbucket shouldn't be sluggish. Thats like 800hp in a 4000 lbs car.I've seen guys with 250hp with 29" tires smoke them with 3.08 gears! If you are wanting it to launch hard then you don't want the tires to break free. Your sluggish maybe from something else!

The current gears are 370. Maybe there is another issue as you have suggested. Well, when I gat it all back together with the new body in place, I will start from the beginning.

Thanks..

Thanks..
I have a Ford (Currie) 9" rearend with 3.25 gears and 31" rear tires. Run around 2000 rpm at 60mph. Just fine for 1800 lb car.

I have a TH400 and Ford 9" rear. When I first built it I had a 3.89 posi. with 33" tall tires. I did some research and figured a 4.86 with 33" tires was about the same as a 3.89 with 27" or so tires. So I stuck a 4.86 in it. It was nice on the street (and fun) but on the highway it was a bit much. So I later went with a 4.30 and that is just about perfect for me. Personally I would not good any higher gear than a 4.11. I am sure others will argue, so let them. I know what I like and its fun with the 3500 stall and full manual trans.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back