Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A general hot rodding forum

Mike

For years, I have been bugged by the knowledge that many of our members are into cars other than T-Buckets. It has always been the popular opinion of this site's membership to keep the site focused on just T-Buckets, which I have always agreed to do.

But there are some really neat cars and projects out there that we are oblivious to.

So I have decided it is time to have a place where we can talk about ALL cars. Everything from T-Buckets to Corvettes and everything in between.

hrr001.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to the Hot Rod Refuge, a site where hot rodders can talk about hot rods, no matter what they might be.

The site will look familiar to you, as it is running on the same software and even uses the same style as we use here. And, thankfully, some of the usual suspects are already finding their way over there. A move I hope all of you will make.

EX JUNK is already talking about his unique '37 Chevrolet Convertible Sedan and 409T is whispering something about posting images of his blown 392 Hemi '30 Model A Tudor. (I've seen some of those images and this one is going to be wild!)

I've tried to lay out forum categories and specific forums so that everyone will be able to find exactly what they want to read and talk about, without having to hunt. But I also want the site to be friendly to all hot rodders, no matter what they are building or driving.

Talk about T-Buckets will be encouraged, over there, every bit as much as talk about 1967 Corvettes or 2005 Mustangs. The Hot Rod Refuge is a venue where everyone can talk about their passion for cars of all kinds.

We are going to be running that site the same as this one, so you can expect the same friendly atmosphere as you have found here.

So come on over and join us. And be sure to tell your friends about us. We need to get the word out, so people can find us. And remember, all hot rod enthusiasts are welcome.

Mike,

Glad to see you do this. Seems the older I get the less likely I'll get time to build a "T". As a few of you might know I do build cars but they are continuation or recreation cars from the late '50s and early '60s. When the economy tanked in 2009 I went to Kansas and took on stainless welding for an oil field related service company I have just recently returned home to build several '63 Grand Sport Corvette frames for a company I've worked for for a number of years. I will also be doing several other vintage road racing cars from the late '50s this year once all the contracts are in place. Hopefully as these develop I will be able to share some of this with you on your new site. I can tell you one of the cars is the 1957 Scarab ( www.scarab-motorsports.com ). I built them the 1st proto car in 2006 but didn't take on the production cars due to having to many Grand Sports and some health issues. We did take some suspension liberties with those cars as it was to be a street piece. Now we are building a true replica racer copy that will be faithful down to the cast 4" wide aluminium drum brakes and '56 Mercury front spindles. After almost 30 years of building T/F, F/C, gas dragsters and driveline components it was in interesting direction change to build cars that had to actually make turns under power. Anyway I hope to be able to be able to be more active in the coming months. And Mike, I have not forgotten about our conversation of the Reher-Morrison days. I just got side tracked which I seem to do a lot these days. I'll try and do better. I'll be in touch.

George

Great idea Mike, unfortunately I am a no go because I have one of "those" email accounts. :cry::notworthy::cry:

Thanks Mike. I'll have another go at configering it. Have had a couple previously, but either I'm doing something wrong or there is a glitch. Suppose I could always ring the ISP :oops::rolleyes::roflmao:

I use yahoo as I can change isp's without losing up my email address, presently I am hoping to change isp's again. I tried using another email address but that worked out to be impractical.
So I'm sorry I can not be part of the new general hot rod forum

Good luck with the new forum

I use yahoo as I can change isp's without losing up my email address, presently I am hoping to change isp's again. I tried using another email address but that worked out to be impractical.
So I'm sorry I can not be part of the new general hot rod forum
Well, I can certainly understand how changing ISPs on a regular basis could make things a hassle. Having been with my current provider for 11 years, that's a non-issue for me. But I do have to wonder how problematic using your ISP-supplied e-mail can really be, when registering on forums. If you change ISPs, it is as *cough* 'difficult' as changing your contact details on the forums you associated to the e-mail address. But then again, I only actively participate on 137 discussion forums, so maybe that's why it seems so easy to me.

Good luck with the new forum
Thanks! We're getting up some momentum, already.

See? There is almost a simple solution to every problem. :) Let me know if you need help with configuring your e-mail client.

I highly recommend Mozilla Thunderbird to everyone. Fast, secure and simple.
Mike,

Will using Mozilla Thunderbird for my email pass muster for the Hot Rod Refuge register? I'm close to dumping my internet provider (telephone company) and will have to do something completely different. Not much choice here in the mountains. Thanks.

George

George, I do recommend using Thunderbird as an e-mail client. But the limitations come in from whatever e-mail provider you are using, rather than whatever client you are using to read your e-mails.

Mike,

I guess I'll log in through my phone company internet service prior to dumping them. When I'm at my shop I just grab an unsecured signal from my neighbors but here at the house I'm at the mercy of a small town one choice provider. Phone company is locally owned with zero choices so they take advantage of the situation. Slow service and increasing both phone and internet rate on a regular basis. My brother lives out far enough that he dumped the land line and got Hughes Satellite. I'm thinking about doing the same soon. Being in the mountains I have to wonder if Davy Crockett had these kind of problems? Probably not! I am pretty well fed up with Yahoo as well. Just need to pick a new email service and take the time to change over. Working in and out of state a lot right now. I'll get there shortly. Thanks for your help.

George

I suspect the e-mail service provider list is going to start diminishing, as time goes by, what with all the National Security Letters flying here and there. Companies like Google don't seem to mind pimping out their Gmail users, but a couple of secure e-mail providers have already closed their doors. I thought I had found a secure alternative, that was even located off-shore, but they have shut down registrations because of the shut-downs at Lavabit and Silent Circle.

The times, they are a'changin'.

I tried to sign up,I must have missed something. I signed up on Thunderbird and used the same email there as here. HELP!!

I've no idea, as the e-mail you associated with your account here initially bounced, showing a 550 Invalid Recipient error. Which had me thinking you had entered your address incorrectly.

I just checked over there and I see no evidence you have attempted registration there at all. Unless you used a different username and e-mail address.

Again, it makes no difference what program you use to read your e-mails on your local system.

I will try again,I am using the same name and email there as here. when I clicked the submit button I got a time out and try again.

This is what I get after hitting the submit button.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back