Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A glimpse into the future

Mike

There is a working version of Invision's new IP.Community 3.2, formerly known as IP.Board up and running. Here are some screenshots of what things look like. Bear in mind this is the stock Invision skin, so you would want to select our IP.Board skin for comparison purposes.

3.2.1.png

The above is a view of the forum index page.

3.2.2.png

The View New Content function is going to be MUCH more flexible.

3.2.3.png

The above is the view of a post.

3.2.4.png

And a post with an attachment showing in the Lightbox.

3.2.5.png

The area at the bottom of the forum index page, showing online users.

3.2.6.png

The dropdown menu at my username. Mike54 is a username I use on a lot of sites, since Mike is often taken before I get there.

3.2.7.png

The My Settings page on my account.

Some of it looks like it will be pretty nice. Some of it looks like change for the sake of change, which doesn't excite me at all.

My guess is that this new software is likely some 4 - 5 months away from public release. I will keep evaluating it as it is being developed and will likely upgrade to it when it is released, just for the security factors involved. But time will tell. I'm not fully sold on it, just yet. And my long-range plans are to move away from Invision over the course of the next 18 - 24 months anyway, so I'm certainly not rushing to embrace this new release.

Sweet Mike, I like it looks and new features !!!

I hope you're feeling a new energy now about the website

Looks good the only question I have will it change the way pics are posted that seems to be the biggest problem I seem to run into? People end up emailing me pics then I post them.Would be nice if that stayed the same.

@Indycars - I'm still on the fence. Some of it looks pretty slick and some of it is rather disappointing. But this is an Alpha release, so I am sure there will be some tuning between now and the Gold release.

@putz - It will still be using BB Code to insert images into posts. No changes there.

@Ted - The Web is constantly evolving. Some of what you think are changes for the worse can actually be changes for the better. We humans resist change, that's all. You once saw Myspace as being fun and easy, but I've never viewed it as anything more than a cesspool to be avoided at all costs. Nothing winds me up any faster than to click on a link and end up on Myspace. If it happens on my Windows machine, I immediately close the browser down and run Ad-Aware and CCleaner on the machine. No, I'm not joking. The changes in the Facebook format seemed awkward at the time, but I find myself still using their service, so it must not have been as bad as I originally imagined.

Speaking of Facebook, let me give everyone a security reminder. On any site requiring you to log in with a password, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH! I maintain a WP Web site and a Facebook account for my Masonic Lodge. That Facebook account underwent a crack attack, last Sunday morning. As a result, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to confirm my identity and it was not a lot of fun. That account is only about a month old, but it already has something around 400 friends, from all over the world, and in order to verify my identity, I had to identify the identity of those people tagged in random photos. Aye. Right. It took me about a dozen attempts to get back in. So keep changing those passwords and don't make them simple, or easy to figure out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back