Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adjustable steering column.

one finger john

Any thoughts on an adjustable steering column incorporating a bicycle seat height adjuster? Also would need a steering wheel disconnect as part of the deal.

John

I'm using a tilt, telescoping column and it gives me room to enter, exit, and drive comfortably, and even shift.... It was a feat to accomplish in my 23' short tub T. I used a old caddi column and shortened it because I had it and it has 3" travel, but you can buy them from ididit, flaming river, and others. It's nice too because all of the controls are on it except the headlight switch. I had to delete the shifter. They are tricky to shorten because they are made to colapse and the steering shaft is in two pieces, secured by injected polymer. I just happen to own a polymer injection system that was made to repair steering joints on large equipment through the grease fittings, so I was able to shorten and modify the shaft and retain the function. You could likely still do it by cutting the bottom of the shaft, avoiding the collapsible joint, and using a weld on u joint. I elected to retain the splining.

If you want to build a simple steering shaft that collapses, as long as you used a keyed or splined shaft and matching tube, I could see it working, but I wouldn't trust the bicycle clamp as built because it could allow the shaft to slip during rotation as they are just a friction clamp. Cool idea and with some mods, I could see it working.

Any machine shop can fix you up on splined shafts with slip collars, the tilt wheel in mine is a real life saver for me, since I have arthritis really bad. Its a real treat for the guys in the shop seeing me get in....they all stop, watch, laugh and applaud....
But, not so much when I fire her up, with the lake pipes opened up....

I wish someone made a simple kit that would take the place of the column mount, and allow the whole column to swing horizontally...like the old T-birds. Flaming River made a swing-away mount, but it was pricey and they seem to have been discontinued.

Yep Chet, I loved his cams and ole Sig Erson....

Yep Chet, I loved his cams and ole Sig Erson....
What happened to Sig Erson, are they still grinding cams? I used to use his stuff quite a bit, back in the late 80's when super shops was selling his stuff. I never had any of his components fail. I can't say that about any others I have used.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back