Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Alternator size

Mustang

Does anyone have a part number for a mini alternator. I need one for a low mount on my 283 chevy on my t-bucket.

Does anyone have a part number for a mini alternator. I need one for a low mount on my 283 chevy on my t-bucket.

I got mine off of ebay from EMS. Their service was good and I would recommend them. EMS Ebay

DSCF0427.jpg

I am planning on using a Kubota tractor alt. I do not know which one yet. They are around $50.00 and from what I have been told that is what some of the "mini" alts are.

Do the low mount brackets require a mini to fit or is it just for looks and space saving?

I don't believe so as I've seen many SBC with low mts and regular size alts. I used it simply for space saving reasons. I had a one-wire type, but it was too tight a fit on my SBF, so I sold it and went the Denso type mini. Its worked great for me and my dad purchased one also for his.

Here's what a regular-sized alt looks like. Very tight... maybe 1/8" clearance at best.

Attachments

• Alternator 001.jpg
    Alternator 001.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 73
If you place your motor high enough in the frame it'll be fine but I know some mount it low to help with the trans hump in the floor.
Mounting the engine too low in the frame (pan too close to the ground)all because of the trans and drive shaft hump, is not a good reason really... That can be worked around, but a busted pan or starter ring is a nasty fix and at the wrong time a real nasty all around headache... :)

Mounting the engine too low in the frame (pan too close to the ground)all because of the trans and drive shaft hump, is not a good reason really... That can be worked around, but a busted pan or starter ring is a nasty fix and at the wrong time a real nasty all around headache... :)

Ever though about this for an alternative? And yse it can be done with a live axle

Alt-postion.jpg

Gerry

Ever though about this for an alternative? And yse it can be done with a live axle

[attachment=4041:Alt-postion.jpg]

Gerry
If your not going REALLY FAST all the time i dont see how this is a good idea.I do alot of cruising and just plane putzing around so my battery would for sure go dead.I dont have the room either for a four foot pulley under my car to adjust for the lack of rpm's.

Misc209.jpg

Here is a full size single wire alternator in CCR frame on a Ford 302.

If your not going REALLY FAST all the time i dont see how this is a good idea.I do alot of cruising and just plane putzing around so my battery would for sure go dead.I dont have the room either for a four foot pulley under my car to adjust for the lack of rpm's.

OK
At just 7 mph the alternator kicks in so you don not have to go that fast. The Kabutsu one talked about has a very high output for its size. The guy I use to help me out with this has a company that build these and others for everything from Ferrari's to Rods. His honest opinion is that I will have NO problems. Take a 100 yards dash and the battery will be good to go.
gerry

Are you using my name in Vane?LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back