Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another Aussie

Neddo

Hello everyone.
Building a T in Western Australia.
I have gained a lot of knowledge from this forum as a guest but I reckon that’s a bit selfish when I may have knowledge to share so I’m here now.
My bucket is at rolling stage now so as soon as I have the picture posting caper sorted I will give you a look.
Neddo

Welcome, Neddo! Glad to have our southern hemi blokes aboard! :D I have friends here in St Louis who are native Australians, and they have introduced me to Vegemite and ANZAC cookies.

Tell us a bit more about your build. Power train? Body style?

Hello again
To get my posts up to enable picture posting I thought I would give you a run down on my bucket.
It all started many years ago when I found a picture of an extended T on the old Wintec website.
A couple of years ago I started the design of a chassis and started collecting parts. It was about this time I obtained a copy of the “ National Street Rod Guidelines “. This document is the bible for hot rod construction in Australia. A lot of people curse this document but the reality is you can build cool and meet the rules.
A Wintec body was out of the question so I had a kiwi Koop de Glass body with doors shipped to Aus.
I have now inserted 6” into the cowl and 18” into the body behind the doors and just like that I have a body that looks like the picture I found years ago. I have also added a toe board floor so I could eliminate the crowded pedal scenario a lot of T’s suffer from. With all the extra body length I can sit in it instead of on it !
The chassis is 108” wheelbase. 24” wide front to back, made from 4 x 2 x 1/8”. Our chassis built here in Aus have to be torsionally very stiff. Wheelbase and power are big players in what materials are used.
For steering I’m using a unisteer half rack set up for side steer.
32 Ford front axle with four bar and the back end four bar and a 9”
For motivation I’m using an Aussie 265 Hemi inline six with a 4-71 blower.
Behind the six a good old powerglide.
That’s a bit of a summary of what is going on my shed, or shop as you northern hemisphere types call it.
Neddo

Welcome from Oklahoma #3 !

Ned do,
If you would have turned that long e mail into 20 small ones I think you might have been able to post pictures.

Hello again
To get my posts up to enable picture posting I thought I would give you a run down on my bucket.
It all started many years ago when I found a picture of an extended T on the old Wintec website.
A couple of years ago I started the design of a chassis and started collecting parts. It was about this time I obtained a copy of the “ National Street Rod Guidelines “. This document is the bible for hot rod construction in Australia. A lot of people curse this document but the reality is you can build cool and meet the rules.
A Wintec body was out of the question so I had a kiwi Koop de Glass body with doors shipped to Aus.
I have now inserted 6” into the cowl and 18” into the body behind the doors and just like that I have a body that looks like the picture I found years ago. I have also added a toe board floor so I could eliminate the crowded pedal scenario a lot of T’s suffer from. With all the extra body length I can sit in it instead of on it !
The chassis is 108” wheelbase. 24” wide front to back, made from 4 x 2 x 1/8”. Our chassis built here in Aus have to be torsionally very stiff. Wheelbase and power are big players in what materials are used.
For steering I’m using a unisteer half rack set up for side steer.
32 Ford front axle with four bar and the back end four bar and a 9”
For motivation I’m using an Aussie 265 Hemi inline six with a 4-71 blower.
Behind the six a good old powerglide.
That’s a bit of a summary of what is going on my shed, or shop as you northern hemisphere types call it.
Neddo

Where would someone here in the states get a copy of your engineering requirements? I am a firm believer of self survival and will include some type of side protection. Also would like to know about that inline hemi six. I had already planed on a inline but a hemi would make me smile a lot more!
Good Luck with your project.
George

Well I answered my own question about the Australian building requirements. They have a online download at no cost.
If you have never built a car from the ground up then you need this manual. It is by far the best I have seen and it has a number of illustrations to guide you. Covers any question you might have. Only problem is it uses metric dimensions but then again they do drive on the wrong side of the road and you will probably have to reverse your steering. When I was down there on R&R in 69-70 American troops were not allowed to rent cars. Probably smart on their part.The link below will take you to their site. It is a PDF download and very fast. Do yourself a favor as you will be well rewarded.
George
Street Rod Manual

Hello everyone and thankyou for the warm welcomes.
Spanky….we used to call Vegemite edible sikaflex !
As far as building a bucket in Australia and what’s involved I might do a post in the build area of the forum of what is involved. It’s not hard at all.
Safety is the priority.

Welcome from illinoise. I’ll be looking to download the manual shortly. Looking forward to seeing your project. Sikaflex is a wonderful sealant used in my business. Wouldn’t want to eat it so thanks for the warning on the vegemite!

Thankyou for the welcome.
We also used a lot of Sikaflex. Hundreds of gallons of the stuff glueing aluminium ships together.
Our Austal US branch is in Mobile, Alabama.
I’m retired now but had a fair bit to do with the ships being built for the USN in Mobile.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back