Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Approaching Suicide steering part 4 or 5

Gerry

Hi again

Moving on to the shifter and turn signal levers. As previous pics show I left a 'gap in the bottom plate of the column to allow the shifter lever to stick out. On the other side I cut a 'slot' out of the column to allow for the lever. I plan to us a couple of micro switches for the turn signals so not a lot of strength needed here.

Steering-column-final-(15).jpg

The fun bit now was coming up with a 'detent' for the turn signal lever. I played around with spring loaded levers and rollers but it all got very complicated and the 'feel' was not right. I ended up using a strip from a wiper blade. Inside a normal wiper blade rubber is a strip of spring stainless steel. I always take these out and save them... they come in very useful. I tried a few design but ended up with a double bend that the lever rides over as it is moved forwads and back.
The feel of this is just like a factory one plus its so simple.

The top and bottom bearing in the column was designed to be thick enough in the wall to take a couple of rods running from the top to bottom. I w as just a case of drilling a couple of holes in each to take the rods from top to bottom. The workings will be covered by the brass collar that fits at the top of the column.

steering-collar-(4).jpg

As the shifter lever at the bottom is welded to the rod it meant a positive fixing at the top and I went with a square which was done by hand. Square and hole both drilled and filed.

Steering-column-final-(30).jpg

Some adjustment to the whole set up and both worked like a dream.

Steering-column-final-(10).jpg

OK so there is a lot of trial and error and loads of putting it together and taking it apart again but after about 125 hours of work I got what I WANTED. Its worth every hour spent and the final thing looks like its made for the car.

Steering-column-final-(35).jpg Steering-column-final-(1).gif

That just leaves the shifter gate which is the next and final post to do.

Gerry

Excellent job time to start building columns and selling them. But to sell them how many hours do you have in this one including all the wheels? Thats right we don't want to figure how many hours we have in some thing its a hobby.:ffart:

Wonderfull post ... I like to see craftmanship like this here. I can't wait for the next one.

Ron

Excellent job time to start building columns and selling them. But to sell them how many hours do you have in this one including all the wheels? Thats right we don't want to figure how many hours we have in some thing its a hobby.:ffart:

Hi
Thanks for you comment. ALWAY good to have a positive feed back... makes you feel really good.
How many hours in the whole car so far. Thousands!!!! But every minute worth it.
Im just worried about the adrenalin rush and if my heart can take it the first time I roll this up the street.
gerry

Thanks everyone for your comments. Any questions just mail me and I will answer them

Hi Gerry, You are loving the build I see here.. that is for some the best part, I must say I also loved the building process, and making it different than the rest, if possible.. now I have to build a totally new car that is all my own, not one that I hope to reproduce many times over, a one of a kind ride... Keep up that great work, and yes that first ride will take your breath away.. hehe build safe.. :ffart:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back