Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Backfire possible dead cylinder

X53Gunner

Ok drove my bucket around and have a popping out of the left side of the car. Didn't think much of it. Only pops on decel or steady gas. Very sporadic popping. Anyway I replaced the plugs and drove it and still happened. Seems to run fine so wasn't worried about it. I painted my headers today and took it for a ride and noticed that the second cylinder from the front on the passenger side is not burning the paint off the header like the others. Like I said I put new plugs in and it still popped so this time I swapped wires around but still popped and didn't burn off paint on that cylinder. Figured you guys could help me with what I should check next? Thanks ahead of time!
Scott

I would start with a compression test since you replaced the plugs and wires already and it is only on one cylinder.

Tight exhaust valve setting. Putz is right on with the compression test. If you take a leak down test you should be able to hear the compressed air escaping from no. 2 cylinder. Could also be a burnt exhaust valve. Maybe a flat lobe on the cam. Pull the valve cover and check the valve adjustment first.

John

Hey X53gunner......is this engine a small block Chevy?????? Do a compression check first.....see what you can find From your #1 spark plug wire on your dist......you should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. If that is OK, Do check and make sure your valves are completely closed. Bring the cylinder on TDC.....you should be able to spin your pushrods on that cylinder. Crank the engine, and spray some carb cleaner at the intake gasket on that cylinder. If it idles up....you got a intake leak at that point on your intake.......that leanout there can cause a pop.

Sometimes a crossfire will cause this.....wait till dark....crank your engine up....and look really close at your plug wires. If there's any leaks....you'll see the sparks. Also clean out your distributer cap really good also.....could be cross firing there also.......Double check all your vaccuum hoses also..........

Take your time....it should show itself fairly quickly...........:cool:

Sometimes a crossfire will cause this.....wait till dark....crank your engine up....and look really close at your plug wires. If there's any leaks....you'll see the sparks. Also clean out your distributer cap really good also.....could be cross firing there also.......

There is a product called Hi-Volt that we use at the shop If there is any leakage at all it'll show right up even in full daylight. You should be able to get it at any parts store
Good luck

If it's a sbc check to see if all the rocker arms are in place. Chevy engines have a nasty habit of dropping a rocker.

Sorry I forgot to list my engine..Don't know what I was thinking...Maybe I wasn't and that was the problem..LOL Anyway Its a 400 SBC.

[attachment=2477:1/5/1/1/2056.attach]

Francis Blake said:
If it's a sbc check to see if all the rocker arms are in place. Chevy engines have a nasty habit of dropping a rocker.

Yea Frances.....I've seen many a valve droped cause of this.....I hate standard stamped rockers.........Proform and others make roller rockers so inexpensive now......I can't see why everyone doesn't switch......good, cheap insurance......makes your guides last longer along with your guide seals...........:cool:

I had the same thing happen on my ole Elcamino and it was a broken inner valve spring.

Hey thanks for all the help guys! Its now running on all 8 damn now its faster yet...LMAO WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!! I didn't have a compression checker but put my thumb over the spark plug hole and there was hardly any compression at all. I loosened the valve and would you know I have all kinds of compression and now 8 cylinders. Thanks guys I'm gonna run around town for some fun. Thanks again!
Scott

AHH, the old thumb tester will work sometimes. :)

LOL somtimes you have to work with what you have right!! I'm glad to have found this forum seems like a bunch of great people. Take care everyone and have a great 4th of July!!
Scott

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back