Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Battery Cable Size

ellis8500

Can't find any info using search. Was wondering what size cable is common for the battery to starter? 2, 1, 0, 1/0.....? Don't want too small and don't need over-kill either. I'm thinking #2 would be right size but would like to know what others have used. Will be running near stock Ford 302.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill I am using #2 on my roadster. Speedway has that in 18 foot lengths, or any battery shop can fix what ever you need with ends.

I've had 1/0 welding cable in mine. Just go the the welding supply and get 5 feet or so and some lugs. I also have red and black large heat shrink ends for covering the crimps. 1/0 is not easy to bend in tight places. You might like 2/0 better.

Tim, thinks for that site, always like useful sites for parts... I will be mounting my dry battery in my new car very close to the starter, as heavy copper cable now days is around $7 a foot, I like stock factory made cables the best... yes and use lots of chassis to engine/trans/rear end GROUNDS flex strap type work good for me... I am packed and ready to rock and roll... :)

2/0 is bigger than 1/0 . The bending radius of wire like a TFFN or a THHN is less and has a thermol PVC plastic cover on the wire this wire should not be used in sizes larger than 16 gauge an automotive application. It will not handle the vibration for a long period of time the stranded wires will break. The MTW and THW wire has a thicker and a non plastic coating and will handle the vibration the copper is non coated and is annealed. It is less elastic and wont coil up it lays where you put it. Welding cable is very pliable and can handle the current with out any problem . The down side is the insulation is very soft and can be skint to the conductor very easy . The actual automotive wiring is TXL,GXL,SXL,SGX all have the same conductors and for lack of a better description they are some what braded this is the wiring under the hood of your new car. The differance in the 4 types are just the insulation. This wire can be purchased at any auto electric outfit.

Thanks for pointing that out, to prevent any confusion. As you progress from 1/0 to 2/0 to 3/0, the actual cable size increases, so if insulation design remains the same, 2/0 will not be easier to handle in tighter spaces than 1/0.

There is a company I know called Luke Motorsport who make starters, alternators etc. In fact they make alternators that look like dynamos. Well respected by everyone from Ferrari owners to vintage and hot rod guys. Luke has told me that a 50 amp alternator is fine for the bucket and to make things look trick I can use heavy cable desingned for power supply to massive amplifiers as is the fashion in rice rockets.(you know, more stereo than engineering) Its a multistrand wire with a red candy see through insulation cover and looks.... uh...... pretty.
Pretty enough for me
Gerry

"Luke has told me that a 50 amp alternator is fine for the bucket"

You don't have much electrical demand in a bucket. I got lights, fan and fuel pump in mine. No need for a radio or amp or nuttin like that. Couldn't hear it anyway. I have a 65 amp Honda Civic alt in mine. No problem.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back