Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Battery disconnect switch.

Yes, a lot of marine applications use a 2 pole battery disconnect that switches both poles. No argument then.

Bentbaggerlen makes a good safety point, the fault current from even a small 17 plate 12V auto battery can be close to 2000Amps. Not enough voltage for an electrocution hazard but plenty energy to burn, back in the day of metal wristwatch bands more than one Auto Sparky got bad wristband burns shorting stuff to ground via the watch strap.

(rule of thumb, short circuit current from a healthy lead acid 12V battery is 20A per one Amp Hour. I.E. 110A/Hr battery will get you 2,200Amps, about 18Kilowatts)

Ted Brown said:
Hehe I know I am killin you about this, but this fellow puts it in better words than I do, but we think alike, Please read what He has to say about the Ground cable mounting of the cut-off switch... :)
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mgb/battery-disconnect-switches.pdf

Yea Ted.......we come from the old school.....ooooooppps.......vintage school..........anyway.......we've always done it on the negative side.......(non-loaded side) , if there's a fire.......gonna be pullings alot of amps and heat put onto that cable......when you throw that much of a load onto that dawm cheesy switch.....the contacts usually weld.
Your Positive is your load carrying side or working side. Crank a really big engine and latch onto that + cable going to the starter.........:eek:........it gets hot/ Now.....do the same and hold onto the negative.......stays cool.

I'm not saying our way is the best............about 10 years ago we went to go shut down a car on fire in the staging area.....we pulled the plug on it.....it kept on burning.......the contacts didn't break......I bitched the NHRA Reps out about it......they told me to shut the F--- UP, that they had Engineers do it, study that stuff!!!!!!

Later.....I asked them if they knew the difference between me and one of their engineers..........they said No...........I LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE......Your guys learn from us when we actually do the stuff that they're too dawm chicken to do...........

Did the NHRA invent the rear engines dragster or make it manditory?????? Only after DonGarlets got tires of engines exploding in his face did HE come up with that design.

How do I do it ??????
I put the switch in the negative side.......so I can isolate the battery when I turn the car off until next usage. I use a 500 amp forklift fuse in the + cable to isolate the big stuff like the starter.........if you ride really hard on it.....it'll blow.....saving your big battery wires........................:cool:

[quote name='Screamin' Metal']Yea Ted.......we come from the old school.....ooooooppps.......vintage school..........anyway.......we've always done it on the negative side.......(non-loaded side) , if there's a fire.......gonna be pullings alot of amps and heat put onto that cable......when you throw that much of a load onto that dawm cheesy switch.....the contacts usually weld.
Your Positive is your load carrying side or working side. Crank a really big engine and latch onto that + cable going to the starter.........:eek:........it gets hot/ Now.....do the same and hold onto the negative.......stays cool.

I'm not saying our way is the best............about 10 years ago we went to go shut down a car on fire in the staging area.....we pulled the plug on it.....it kept on burning.......the contacts didn't break......I bitched the NHRA Reps out about it......they told me to shut the F--- UP, that they had Engineers do it, study that stuff!!!!!!

Later.....I asked them if they knew the difference between me and one of their engineers..........they said No...........I LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE......Your guys learn from us when we actually do the stuff that they're too dawm chicken to do...........

Did the NHRA invent the rear engines dragster or make it manditory?????? Only after DonGarlets got tires of engines exploding in his face did HE come up with that design.

How do I do it ??????
I put the switch in the negative side.......so I can isolate the battery when I turn the car off until next usage. I use a 500 amp forklift fuse in the + cable to isolate the big stuff like the starter.........if you ride really hard on it.....it'll blow.....saving your big battery wires........................:cool:[/quote]

NAS T TOO I put on the Neg. side, been doing that with race cars for years, argued with the inspectors for years as my buddy's would race there cars. You just want to make sure you have a good ground on the chassis to motor and you can never have enough grounds.
Im with Ted and Screamin' Metal. you learn from experience, although all the instructions will tell you positive. Watched a car burn up at the end of the track when the guy jumped out and shut his switch off and well guess what he was running power from another source and never should up till that day.:sad:

:wacky:Ted you had me untill i read this guy is from the UK. No one puts more smoke in wires than the Brits. Lucas wiring Cars are a camp fire on wheels. Now you are REALLY killin me TED. Plus its fun to give you a hard time because you cant type fast enough to get me back.:)

Easy on us people who can't type fast.:)

:lol:Ted sat behind jesus in the third grade. Now thats old school.:)

:dance:
Yea buddy......Rooster has been on the roll all night long tonight.................................:)

I like givin you guys a hard time when i can. I my have a strange sense of humor but thats just me . I hope no one is ever offended by my take on things or comments.
But Ted your still killin me . I think we should all pitch in for some typing and sentence structure for Papaw TED. HA HA

I always get it and you correct thats all that matters. My next trip to california we need to get togeather for a cold one FO - SHO

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back