Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

battery

I use a red top Optima.

fbn8248 said:
How big or small of a battery do you need for a T? I'm talking cranking amps and dimensions.
you'll be safe with 2 CCA per cubic in unless, you've added some compression.

I'm running an Oddyssey battery that measures 7 x 3 x7 high because I have no room for a regular battery. It sits for months and cranks like mad every time. When I bought it I thought I might have to put 2 in to get the cranking amps I needed, but I spoke to the President of the company and he told me they start a blown BBC with one all the time!

My Son's Optima is forever going dead just sitting and he has to keep a trickle charger on it. There is no drain from anything. My T sometimes sits for 3 months at a time and it discharges almost not all all during that time. Here is the one I have:
tinstallingpartsonframe007.jpg

tnewdriveshaftin.jpg

The model is a PC680. Several friends on other forums have the same battery and love it.

Don

Don, I think that there may be something wrong with your son's Optima battery. I'm running one in my T and have never had to charge it. It too has sat for many weeks, like when I tore it down for paint, and it fired the car right up.

Jim

I agree. I understand Optima batteries are now made in Mexico, maybe you got one of the last American made ones. Where I used to work we sold and recommended Optimas with no questions.........they are great batteries. For some reason his keeps draining to the point where it will only click..........only takes a couple of weeks too.

Don

I guess that is another thing that we are unable to make here in the states. Pretty soon we'll be making nothing here, both in product and money!

Jim

I will agree with Don. I put one of them Oddssey batterys in the Yelot and it just does a great job.

I just bought a new one for the Chrome T from a guy on eBay for 119 bucks plus free shipping. Got it proirity mail two days later all the way from Floriada.........

I really like the fact you can mount them in any position. I put them flat under the seat and don't have to worry about any leaks or other problems......when you turn the switch if the engine is right you won't have to worry about it starting from the electrical side.........

Try it you will like it I know...................:D

donsrods said:
I'm running an Oddyssey battery that measures 7 x 3 x7 high because I have no room for a regular battery. It sits for months and cranks like mad every time. When I bought it I thought I might have to put 2 in to get the cranking amps I needed, but I spoke to the President of the company and he told me they start a blown BBC with one all the time!

My Son's Optima is forever going dead just sitting and he has to keep a trickle charger on it. There is no drain from anything. My T sometimes sits for 3 months at a time and it discharges almost not all all during that time. Here is the one I have:

tnewdriveshaftin.jpg

The model is a PC680. Several friends on other forums have the same battery and love it.

Don

Paul a friend of mine has one in his t with a blown Ford starts it every time.
I have the red top Optima in mine and it has gone dead a few times in the last 3 years. Just a quick charge and it is good to go again.

Yeah, I agree Optimas are fine batteries. Whenever we had a customer who had a high performance boat we would recommend them because the constant pounding would kill regular lead acid batteries in about 3 months. The Optimas cured that problem for lots of them.

In fact, my Son Dan is going to install one in his RPU. He bought a billet battery mount especially designed to hold the Optimas...........looks pretty trick.

As for the Mexican move, I heard a story, can't confirm or deny it, but it goes that Optima led their American workers to believe they were simply training their Mexican counterparts to make batteries so that Optima would have 2 locations. Once they were up and running they closed the American facility. Like I said, just a tale I heard.

Don

donsrods said:

tnewdriveshaftin.jpg

Don

I agree too. I used this same battery in my Boss Hoss Trike with a 502 BBC that put out 660 HP. It is definately the ticket for lots of usable CCA in a small package. It does cost more, but it is worth it...

I use a single 15lb agm 680 on my Track-T also. I also have an electric scooter that I built up for racing and it uses 4 in series driving a 15 hp DC electric motor. Up to 40 mph the scooter will leave my '86 Corvette in the dust.

I'll never buy another Optima...I had a red top that was good for about 10 days past its warranty at Auto Zone. I bought a small regular top post battery (for what who knows) with 650 CCA, for about $60, and it works great and has a longer (although pro-rated) warranty. I do like the one Don has...maybe when this one dies I look into them.

My Friend has a wheelchair battery in has, it a Interstate works great and it is just a little smaller I think it about 5" wide 7" long and 8" high

Just had a thought........They say the success or failure of a revitalized American auto industry pivots around the presence of the electric hybrid car. The funny thing is the two battery manuf. companies that make the batteries are Panasonic and Sanyo, both non-american. Just thought about that reading how Optima is now made in Mexico. How is that for ironic.

Anyhow, Autozone Duralast battery is a great choice. They are made by Johnson Controls, who also happen to make the Sears Diehard and Ford Motorcraft batteries.

Mike

If I did this right you should see the (4) Hawker 680 batteries in series for powering a 15 hp permanet magnet DC notor on my hot rod scooter
popupimg.php

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back