Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

BBC in a T

Rat T

Hello,

I have looked around online a fair amount, I do not see very many (like 2 so far) with a BBC in them. Is it a handling issue? I do know they are much heavier so it only stands to reason handling would compramised (sp) Any input is appreciated.

If you want to run a big block the Chevy is about 100 pounds more than the small block, the Caddy's only about 50 pounds. Big blocks are not common but they are around.

i built one with a 396 in the mid '70's. same chassis i now use for a sbc. no handling issues.

Ron

At Sierra Vista year before last I noticed that the SBC was far and away the most popular engine. Next came the small Ford. Next was the RAT. (in fact if you removed these engines there were only 5 T's left, one Mopar RB, one Ford FE, One Ford 385 {429}, one early Chrysler Hemi, and one 21 stud Flathead. Now, I realize that God created the SBC for the benefit of t buckets, but I had hoped for more diversity:rolleyes:! There were enough rats around (some with blowers) to be interesting.

I have the same frame and front end in my T that has a 409 as in my T that has a 327. Very little difference in handling, and I believe the 409 weighs about 200 lbs more than a small block, and even a little more than a big block.

Jeff

Small block Chevys are the most pop, because most every Mfg. Co. makes parts for them and they are the cheapest... I had a Big Block Chevy and as far as handling goes, the car just sits a bit lower, not enough to really notice.. The main reason I changed was too much temptation with all that extra top end power, plus it was a bit more thirsty, but there again, not too bad... Temptation is a powerful thing, plus it feels soooo good:)

Go with the bbc. Like you said before, there aren't as many of them as sbc's. Being different is what buckets are all about. I'm building my track t with a bbb, big block buick. Buick used more nickel in their blocks so thinner casting was possible which means lighter weight. One thing about the bbc, unless you build a TH350, you will have to use a TH400 which is a larger transmission. There's not much room under the floor of t bucket. Make sure to measure everything so it will fit.

No issues here. You can set the motor back to offset the weight also.The one thing you need to get used to, is you come up on things real real fast.Good brakes help out with that.Go For It Dude. Hell YA!!!

TH400 is not that much larger than a TH350. Has the same bellhousing measurements. The TH400 has either a long shaft or short shaft tailhousing. My original 400 came out of my old 76 Caprice SW. It had a long shaft and a trans buddy rebuilt it and swapped out a short shaft tailhousing. With a short shaft the TH400 is pretty close to the same size as a TH350, maybe a little wider. And is MUCH stronger.

Hey guys.....curious about this.....as ya'll know I'm a buildin' my bucket right now.......setting my front suspension up......on a BBC.... with the extra weight, is it hard to get the ride set up to where its kinda comfortable.....what kinda springs do most of ya use and how many leafs????????? I was reading about the pushing on the front with your foot and all....the dawm roads here in Ok. are pretty crappy, don't want to bottom out and break something or go too stiff and shake a kidney loose.
I'm doing a big inch smallblock with blower........and torquewise and power wise....its gonna be comparable to a BB....

I have a blown big block chevrolet in my T and runs very respectful, this is what most people look like after a quick jump on the throttle :eek: . Do you need this much hp in a T ? No not really, but it is alot of fun. 1 thing to watch out for when you put a big block in is the fuel pump, if you set the engine in the frame lower the mechanical fuel pump will hit the frame, or at least it did on my car. Go for it, I started out with a 454 HO GM crate engine for a year or 2 and then added more stuff in it and a blower. Have fun and becareful if you run a big block in your T, They get kinda hairy. :D

OldredT said:
I have a blown big block chevrolet in my T and runs very respectful, this is what most people look like after a quick jump on the throttle :eek: . Do you need this much hp in a T ? No not really, but it is alot of fun. 1 thing to watch out for when you put a big block in is the fuel pump, if you set the engine in the frame lower the mechanical fuel pump will hit the frame, or at least it did on my car. Go for it, I started out with a 454 HO GM crate engine for a year or 2 and then added more stuff in it and a blower. Have fun and becareful if you run a big block in your T, They get kinda hairy. :D

Hey OldredT......whats the spring setup you used on the front?

Here's a few pictures of a W motor in a T bucket frame if anyone is interested
black30

[quote name='Screamin' Metal']Hey OldredT......whats the spring setup you used on the front?[/quote]

I have the Total performance chrome spring, it has 5 leafs. Rides fine and did not bottom out yet.

I have a BBC in the woody T. I've driven it only a few times and it handles fine. Can't tell you how it was with the SBC because I changed out before I drove it.

Cecil

Block to block, the BBC and a SSC will run together, the BBC wants to be let out to run, The faster it goes, the more pull it has,,, and no matter the weight, I also had one in a 60 Chevy, even with 4 people in the car, it ran the same. The frame engine mounts are the same for both engines, but better use a 400 trans, as the 350 will spit out second gear if you have any power at all. That is how it was and is with my T experiences... :ciao:

Ted Brown said:
Block to block, the BBC and a SSC will run together, the BBC wants to be let out to run, The faster it goes, the more pull it has,,, and no matter the weight, I also had one in a 60 Chevy, even with 4 people in the car, it ran the same. The frame engine mounts are the same for both engines, but better use a 400 trans, as the 350 will spit out second gear if you have any power at all. That is how it was and is with my T experiences... :faint:

Hey Ted....thanks for the info....am writting it down.......The 350's are bad about puking up parts behind anything that makes more than 475HP.....you can build a bulletproof 350 that takes less horses to drive it in low gear.......but thats only for the racing.......a built turbo 400 is what I'm going with.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back