Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

BBC or SBC?

I built a bucket in '84 - '85 with a 396/'glide straight out of a "66 Belair wagon. Hosed it off, degreased it, painted it and added a $60 dressup kit. I used a Dodge Dart radiator core with home made top and bottom tanks. Drove the snot out of that lil rocket ... no problems what-so-ever. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

its really up to you. Both sbc and bbc use the same motor mounts and bellhousing layout and the distance from CL of motor mount to bellhousing is the same dimension. Only difference is a big block is about 2" longer in front of the motor mounts. So your radiator/fan spacing will be more, especially if ya want a blower. You want show or go I'd go with a big block. A Walker Cobra Z radiator should be able to handle either.

Back in high school I had a 65 Chevy van with a 235 straight six. Got a cracked block so I decided I'd get a smallblock and stick in there (engine between the seats). Went to a junkyard and ended up getting a 396 for $50. Turned out the six had side motor mount spacer adapters out to the side V8 mounts. 396 slipped right in and still used the Six bellhousing and 3 on the tree shift and transmission. Had to get a bigger radiator though and made a sheetmetal scoop under the floor to get more air into it. Had to modify the engine cover too.

Well I have run both sized engines, both are pretty much the same for the first block, then after that, the CI;s start to take over, the faster you go, the harder it pulls, but, a T Bucket is not the ride to try and drive FAST, quick is fine, but stay away from top speed runs, as the windshields don't really stand up real good to speeds over 110 or 125, the glass will bow back inside towards you, not a good thing... If you like the look of the big block, just use a 396, looks the same, I don't have much use for 454's way to thirsty 4 me. Cooling is timing and jetting and AIR through radiator...
Remember the tube size on your headers will control wheel spin, and a good tire also helps, does not have to be real wide...

Has anyone mentioned vehicle dynamics? Ride quality? Cornering? Braking?

I don't hear much about handling. Is it because maybe, it isn't one of the endearing qualities of T's.

I'd be concerned about the additional weight of a big block v. small block, though I don't know the actual difference

My choice is a small block with aluminum heads, water pump and the lighter of alloy or steel pullies. But then, I'm the guy who can get a Grammy Award for my drag bike by taking off a gram here and a gram there. I just can't stop eating pizza or drinking wine.

Many of T's I've seen couldn't be run at a drag strip anyway. They'd break an axle or spit a driveshaft on a prepared strip surface even if they could pass tech inspection.

Get the car done in an expedient and prudent manner.

Drive it and enjoy it.

I thought that if I changed to a small block that I would have to move the motor mounts. This changes everything, thanks blownt. The guy I'm buying this from has a 350 from a mid 70's vette that I can take in lieu of the 454.

Ted, you said "Remember the tube size on your headers will control wheel spin....." can you explain that? I don't understand how the headers would control wheel spin.

To answer your question, header tube size determines torque. If they are right your torque will max out to small and they restrict your engine, and too large they don't provide the required back pressure.With too little back pressure unburnt fuel goes right on through.Hope this helps.

I thought that if I changed to a small block that I would have to move the motor mounts. This changes everything, thanks blownt. The guy I'm buying this from has a 350 from a mid 70's vette that I can take in lieu of the 454.

Ted, you said "Remember the tube size on your headers will control wheel spin....." can you explain that? I don't understand how the headers would control wheel spin.

Goofed on that last post, Quezzmo, You wouldn't need to change the motor mounts for a small block. The distance from the back of the block to the mounts are the same. You will be set back from the radiator by approx. 2 inches more than the BBC depending on which water pump is used.......IMO go with the big block, Just because you have it doesn't mean you gotta use it(yea right)....ruggs

Most all Chevy V-8 have the same engine foot print. That is take out a 283 and drop in a 454. Transmission bolt patterns are the same as is the engine mount locations. Now some of the newer LS and LT engines are different.

It is like the difference between a set of large valve port heads compared to small port heads, the small port heads will usually make the car a real hide burner, then you will have no control, that is as bad as jerking the front wheels up off the pavement... Small tube primaries will give much more bottom end, something a T Bucket does not need more of... Any stock engine will give more than needed...
2" ID tube for a small block will get all the power to the ground, well if you have good 70% static weight on the rear wheels, so if you want to be able to burn the tires off your car at most any speed, just use small 4 into 1, headers with a good squeeze :) Drive safe...

My question to you would be where do you plan on driving this thing? Usually the fuel tank is 10 gallons at most so if you actually plan on putting some miles on filling up every 40 miles sucks. Personally I would go with the small block. Get a 6.0l from a new truck and put a carb on it. That would be different and reliable.

BTW, my car makes 515 hspr and I can get about 70 miles/tank on the highway. Of course when you use 7 gallons you are close to empty do you end up filling it up early all the time.

I have a 396 (actually a 402) in mine. I built the engine myself from the engine that was in the car when I bought it. It makes 550 HP with a Crane super stock cam and a tunnel ram. Of course it has a lot of nice small parts and has been balanced.

BBC oval port heads will support air flow enough to produce over 500 HP at low (under 5500) RPM and produce tractor like torque. Mid to late 70s and 80s heads have hardened valve seats necessary for unleaded fuel.

PM me if I can help since I live in Garland.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back