Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Best paint to beat the heat??

teedoff

I am getting ready to sand the block and all other areas and was wondering what the best paint to use on the engine is? I want to paint it to match the frame etc. I know that most everything burns off the heads and thought Imron would be best instead of base/clear or enamel. Any ideas? Thanks

We paint our engines and transmissions just as we would the body. We use epoxy primer then top coat with either single stage or bc/cc. It does not burn off, the paint on my 302 in my 27 was on there 20 years and was still presentable. The epoxy primer is the key. Here are a few of our engines:

tsandersonheaders002.jpg

tengineinstalledfinaltime006.jpg

dans29engineinoldframe-1.jpg

donstfinalassemblystarted007.jpg

dansmotormorepix006.jpg

oldsenginepainted004.jpg

All these were painted with automotive single stage paint, some in Imron.

Don

Hey Don, I had my nova motor and tranny painted with triple black Imron and three clear coats with rainbow flakes added. The Billet T motor is painted charcoal greay with clearcoat.Your motors look great by the way.
I am still having problems with the motor running properly. I have replaced everything electrical , distributor, coil, plug wires, timing, rebuilt the carbs, tested everything with gauges, and it still backfires and runs like crap. I am thinking after sitting so long, maybe the cam bearings are gone along with the cam lobes. I just posted a new thread but it will take a while for it to go thru. If you have any comments I will appreciate it.

Ron

If you can give me some info as to when it backfires, ie off idle or WOT, I will be glad to try and find the problem.

railroad

First thing would be to do a compression test to see how high and even the cylinders are. Check that and let us know what you get.

Don

donsrods said:
We paint our engines and transmissions just as we would the body. We use epoxy primer then top coat with either single stage or bc/cc. It does not burn off, the paint on my 302 in my 27 was on there 20 years and was still presentable. The epoxy primer is the key. Here are a few of our engines:

tsandersonheaders002.jpg

tengineinstalledfinaltime006.jpg

dans29engineinoldframe-1.jpg

donstfinalassemblystarted007.jpg

dansmotormorepix006.jpg

oldsenginepainted004.jpg

All these were painted with automotive single stage paint, some in Imron.

Don

You do some really nice work Don!

I had my block and heads powdercoated. Tough and hard and does not chip and quite a bit of prep work but great results. Gotta use a powdercoater that KNOWS what he is doing around automotive parts. You must mask what you do not want coated. They sandblast parts where it is to be powdercoated. DO NOT take anything for granted. I thought NOBODY would be dumb enough to sandblast the gasketed surfaces especially the head mounting surfaces. I was wrong. They give the parts to some guy and tell him to blast them, and blast them he did. After I got the heads back I had to get the heads resurfaced. But other than that the powdercoating is great. I had heard rumors that powderoating will make an engine run hotter. If it does it is not much. I run 185-195 on evening cruises and cruising during the hottest days it has never gotten above 205. Also I spent a big part of the time grinding and smoothing my block before the powdercoating. All casting marks and numbers and rounding edges. Another tip - do not grind the block on your driveway unless you put down a tarp. After the first rain my driveway turned rusty orange and does not come out of the pores.

Dawm I love see-ing the purty engines!!!!!! It turns me on!!!!!!!

I deal with race engines, all the time, all aluminum......on occassion I'll get some spray paint and try to make one look like something other than aluminum........the owners sometimes will look at me....then look at the engine.....then look at me agian......and just shake their heads.......

I'm like, "WWWWWHHHAAAAAAAA??????????" But still, the scornful look persists..............

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back