Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big Block Chevy vs Small Block Chevy

swatman260

This question goes out to all the guys who are a lot more engine savy than I am. I'm building my T based on the SSR plans and have planned all along to put a SBC 350 or 383 into it. However, I have now come across a pretty awesome deal on a BB 454 thats been completely rebuilt and has everything I need already installed. It will be used for general joy riding and not any kind of racing. I just dont want to create problems for myself down the road with this project, so I'd love to hear ya'lls opinion on which to go with. I'm really leaning towards the BB...

I would go with the BB if you can get a deal, always! But that's me. I LOVE the big blocks! SBC's are great engines but are run of the mill. But if you have a big block, now that is wonderful excess! But if you have all the mounts welded in already and have all the components for the SB, that may be a different story. Also, you need to make sure it will fit in your chassis and that it can handle the extra weight and torque...

Even if I didn't use it in the T, I would get it anyway if it's a good deal. You never know what you will be building next! :thumbsup:

I had a worked .060 454 (468) in my '28 Model A and it was a FUN ride! Boy, do I miss that crazy beast!

Last edited:
I have the mounts for the SBC but haven't welded them in yet. From what I've read online, the 454 should mount in the exact same place (please weigh in if this is not the case). The frame is made from 2x3 .188 tube so I think it will handle the torque just fine, although I may add in some bracing. I'm kinda like you in that I love the idea of having something a little different up front.

The BB Chevy will make awesome power, I will try to put this into terms you will understand. A chevy 350, if you are trying to build a good ole hotrod motor, you'll have to have a matched system. While it will be quick, these little cars were originally to be hotrod, hauling butt from redlight to redlight. To this Hotrod theme, if you put a small 4 bbl, alum intake, headers and all, you have a sweet running little car. If you feel like riding around in a awesome light hotrod, with a stock motor, no big cams and lumpy motor, you could do it with a SBC. Won't be super fast or flashy. just a stock motored hotrod.
Now, get that that same T-Bucket, put that 454 in it, just recurve the HEI, put on some good bright colored plug wires, drop on a inexpensive alum. intake, a good holley or Edelbrock carb, a custom aircleaner, but in place of the cam, put in a good offroad cam, maybe a HighEnergy bumpstick, you'll have something that looks the part, sounds the part, having a slight roughness to the idle, and it'll Shag Butt down the road like a rocketship without hitting 5500 rpms. The 350 will do the same thing, but not with as much ease.
If you like a really choppy idle while still having a manageable motor, get a Thumper cam. That awesome sound will be there.
A mild built bigblock will have the same rocketship like acceleration that ta all out 350 sbc would have, just won't have to press on the accelerator near as hard to get it....
The Torque from the BigBlock will make it all worthwhile.

Once you sit behind that BBC, its the same as a Blown SBC, after you sit behind one and feel the pull it has, nothing else will quite measure up....

Last edited:
Big block - my favorite too! The difference in block length is all forward of the motor mounts. You can use the same position for either motor as long as there's sufficient clearance in front of the pump/fan. I wouldn't even consider a 454 without a TH400 (if you're going AT), so the total weight diff compared to a 350/TH350 will be about 200 lbs IIRC. A very mildly built 454/TH400 can push a 3,800 lb Vette to the low 13s. It would be a crazy fast ride in a bucket!

Jack

Go big block. 2x3 .188 tube will hold it just fine, and if your frame is anywhere near correct you probably won't need any additional bracing, but to me the key is as you said, "having something a little different up front".

They look knowingly and ask...350, is it? When you say, no...it's a 454...their expression is absolutely priceless! I'm NOT kidding!!! :D
Mine has been everywhere local and the two trips outside the province with Fitzee (while he owned it) sealed the deal for me. When the new owner offered me a trade for my 32 Ford project I said YES...and I have no regrets at all.
The T runs and drives awesome...just gotta make some changes to make it mine and do the regular upkeep for the next season.
454, single Vacuum sec 4/alum intake, mild cam, usual headers, T-350, 2200 stall converter (to keep her from creeping! LoL) and 3.42 gears in a Trans-Am rearend.
At the strip with a carb change and some tire pressure adjustment it has run mid to high 11's.
I intend to drop the gearing back to 3.00 or a little less (highway rpm) and might go with a different carb as well just because the Holley is a bit fussy for being overrich at times.
All the same, power and smoothness is there in bucket loads. There is NO effort at all for this thing to motivate. Press the gas you MOVE...but its very streetable.
Man...wish the snow was gone! I NEED a drive!!! :D

Yep, may as well go with the big block. You're partly correct , all the mounts are the same , the big block is just a little longer from the engine mounts forward, so if you're allready pushed for fan and radiator clearance, you may have some issues. But the big block will stand out from the crowd in a line of T-Buckets! But don't expect to be the "big man on Campus" you never know what else is lurking out there.

Big Block as in bigblk1177 nuff said!!!! But as joecool said cooling could be a booger, but it definitely would not be in a strain in a T !

Mine has a rad that completely fills the T shell and has a core as deep as the shell. 5 core maybe?
No idea who made it, but cooling is a non-issue!
With a small electric fan it cools perfectly in all conditions...at least into the 80*+ temperatures we get here.
This T was originally built around 1980ish with a blown 427 and this rad is original to it.

Yep , big blocks certainly have a different kind of power. It's low down grunt all the way thru to when ever you can lean against the G forces and bang the shifter into the next gear! Having said that, there are smoggy old 454's that only make 295 HP, so you never know which one you'll end up with.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the plug on the 454. I'm picking it up Friday evening, so one way or the other, my T is now big block powered.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the plug on the 454. I'm picking it up Friday evening, so one way or the other, my T is now big block powered.
Good choice. You won't be sorry...or maybe you will, lol. Nah, you'll love the expression on the faces of the people when they realize what it is! :geek:

Big Block as in bigblk1177 nuff said!!!! But as joecool said cooling could be a booger, but it definitely would not be in a strain in a T !
I've heard cooling a BB can be tough, but the 468 in my hot rod and the 396 in the '55 I have now run 180 all day any weather. And the 454 in my buddy's Chevelle is not a problem either...:thumbsdown:

My 409 is harder to cool than the typical BBC but I don't have any problem with a Walker radiator that is small enough to fit in a '23 shell. You should be fine.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back