Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Blower guys, a little help?

Humidi-T

I must be missing some pieces.

The crank hub I have has a v-groove on it, but if the hub is installed such that the shank is fully advanced in the seal, the belt groove is right up against the timing cover. This doesn't work if running a water pump. Also the lower pulley would be too close to the motor and wouldn't line up with the blower.

I suspect I am missing a spacer and another set of V-groove pulleys. Do any of you have pictures of their lower pulley set up. SBC with 4-71 blower.

Also, how did you address the water neck coming straight out in the drive belts. I need the upper hose to come out to the #3 cylinder then turn to the front. This is not insurmountable, just want to see how you dunnit.

Blower is all mounted and ready to run if I can get my pulleys and alt/pump straightened out.

GT63 said:
Hey Sos, On the street you can run an aftermarket balancer, single groove pulley, then the blower pulley and everything will line up. I'm running a Fluiddampner with my 6-71. I also switched the straight out water neck for one that is 90 degrees. and ran the water hose around the outside of the belt.

Picasa Web Albums - Grant - blower_installed

Picasa Web Albums - Grant - 05172008-tbucket

What he said.......and also, let me add.......on the blower intake.....sometimes they'll have you over the pickle barrel, so-to-speak, you don't have a lot of room on the water inlet on your intake.......if this is the case, check with summit, that have the type that swivel and the straight up kind also. On the radiator......sometimes its hard to line everything up and get things going without a kink in a hose somewhere. If your just firing her up for the first time.....no big deal.

I have a tubing bender......so if you got a machine shop that your friendly with.....or if you got a friend in a muffler shop........give them a call......go down there, let them look at your hose and let them bend you up a pipe that'll get ya where its gotta go! Plus these things you can get bent up out of stainless.....they look really cool..................:cool:

GT63 said:
Hey Sos, On the street you can run an aftermarket balancer, single groove pulley, then the blower pulley and everything will line up. I'm running a Fluiddampner with my 6-71. I also switched the straight out water neck for one that is 90 degrees. and ran the water hose around the outside of the belt.

Picasa Web Albums - Grant - blower_installed

Picasa Web Albums - Grant - 05172008-tbucket

Sure come out beautiful Grant. I'm jealous. Does it run as good as it looks?

Humidi-T said:
Sure come out beautiful Grant. I'm jealous. Does it run as good as it looks?

It runs OK. I'm still tweaking on it. I'm gonna try 1:1 and see what that does. Also looking at that new mallory distributor called Max-Fire. It'll let me customize the vacuum advance and boost retard. I'll get dialed in eventually.

GT63 said:
It runs OK. I'm still tweaking on it. I'm gonna try 1:1 and see what that does. Also looking at that new mallory distributor called Max-Fire. It'll let me customize the vacuum advance and boost retard. I'll get dialed in eventually.

Great Ignition system.....I'm kinda partial to one....can't say any names though....on your ignition....believed we pretty well thrashed it out once here on the board.........

run as much advance as the engine combo will allow.......when your set low.....too much heat and on a blower motor....heat is something you don't want.......I believe Ron, and Ted, and a few others can give you some sound advice on the timing on the blown smallblocks........:cool:

ordered a new crank hub and v pulley. What weight oil do I run in it? Only see a port for the front. What about the rear? No oil back there? Probably because the gears are in the front.

Humidi-T said:
ordered a new crank hub and v pulley. What weight oil do I run in it? Only see a port for the front. What about the rear? No oil back there? Probably because the gears are in the front.

90 weight gear oil is fine. Yes only in the front.

Also, I don't run the vacuum advance on my dist. I have 18 initial, plus 18 centrifigal for 36 total all in at 2500. I imagine once I change the top plley and go 1:1 I'll be adjusting the timing just a bit.

And don't for get to run a vacuumboost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. Both are important on a blower motor.

like Grant said, 90 weight gear lube. Take the bottom bolt out of the triangle plate. Get the Castrol gear lube with the pointy cap. It fits in the bolt hole and squeeze da bottle. When it starts to overflow the bolt hole its full. The rear cover is sealed, no lube. Doubt very seriously you need a boost gauge with a 4-71 and the boost you will be running. You will definently see vacuum much more than boost with that. But it is nice to see what it is doing. Kevin made a few rear stands that bolt to the rear of the back cover to hold a boost gauge but he don't work at the place no more. As far as a fuel pressure gauge, I ain't got one.

GT63 said:
90 weight gear oil is fine. Yes only in the front.

Also, I don't run the vacuum advance on my dist. I have 18 initial, plus 18 centrifigal for 36 total all in at 2500. I imagine once I change the top plley and go 1:1 I'll be adjusting the timing just a bit.

And don't for get to run a vacuumboost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. Both are important on a blower motor.

Cool. Got both gauges and the aluminum plate to make a mount for them.
Thanks

Got my crank hub today. Replaced the wires this past weekend. Moved the alt to the new location too. ready for the crank pulley a couple of new belts, and a longer TV cable (was supposed to be delivered on Friday) and I'll be ready to fire it up baby! This weekend looks to be the time. I'm on vacation next wekk too. So hope to get it running and driving so I can get a couple of days of cruising in before we go camping.

I have a 4-71 and the blower pulley goes right on the hub no balancer and the V belt pulleys go on the outside opposite of a 6-71 setup. so 4-71 goes Hub,blower pulley, V belt pulley. 6-71 on up V belt then blower pulley. If you want I can post pics.

????????????? You have 4"+ long bolts going thru the V pulley then the blower pulley into the crank hub??? Yes I wanna see pics. Doesn't sound very secure to me. Nothing holding the blower pulley tight except the rear face of the V pulley?

There is no reason why a 4-71 has to have a setup different from a normal 6-71 setup. It all depends how you mount the alt. You must have the alt WAY forward.

Blue Springs - Home of Fat Pat Anderson. You are sooooo lucky.

"I have a 4-71 and the blower pulley goes right on the hub no balancer and the V belt pulleys go on the outside opposite of a 6-71 setup. so 4-71 goes Hub,blower pulley, V belt pulley. 6-71 on up V belt then blower pulley. If you want I can post pics."

blownt said:
????????????? You have 4"+ long bolts going thru the V pulley then the blower pulley into the crank hub??? Yes I wanna see pics. Doesn't sound very secure to me. Nothing holding the blower pulley tight except the rear face of the V pulley?

There is no reason why a 4-71 has to have a setup different from a normal 6-71 setup. It all depends how you mount the alt. You must have the alt WAY forward.

Blue Springs - Home of Fat Pat Anderson. You are sooooo lucky.

"I have a 4-71 and the blower pulley goes right on the hub no balancer and the V belt pulleys go on the outside opposite of a 6-71 setup. so 4-71 goes Hub,blower pulley, V belt pulley. 6-71 on up V belt then blower pulley. If you want I can post pics."

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

You still use the main crank bolt through the middle and the 6 hex bolts around that. Actually you are less likely to break a crank with this setup verses the standard v belt first because of the gilmer hanging futher out.

blownt said:
have never seen a setup like that before. Good thing you don't have a 3" belt.

I have a 1 rib alternator pulley for it with a bigger blower pulley and actually it is much easier on the crank than having a balancer, vbelt and then all the force of the 3" blower pulley that is why SBC are so known for breaking cranks. Then again if you are just putting around you dont have to worry about it.....I wasnt raised that way.:D

I see me going that way myself when I go 8-71 or 6-71 but I want to do it with a big block crank snout.

Yea....it's refered as the 'baby belt' setup and is setup like that to keep the strain off the cranks.........

BDS, Dyers, Weiand back in the day used to do the lower drive pulley to where the vbelt pulley set between the harmonic balancer and the blower pulley.......you could use really short grade 8 bolts and locktight......worked good. A bunch of bozo's started bolting the huffers on, notching out their fan shrouds running looooong fan spacers to get past those 3" Gilmer belts, etc, etc.....

You ain't seen the type of carnage that a 3" gilmer will do on a closed hooded car with all those accessories bolted up really close with a fan up there in the mix spinning its ass off, whenever a belt pops or somethings gets tangled up in there.
Sometimes when it actually happens it looks like its gonna take 30 minutes before everything quites breaking! Ha!

Ask Ted.....I bet he's seen it!!!!!

There are about as many diff. blower drive configurations as there are sizes and types.......some of them rather exotic, not to mention downright strange!!!!!!!!:D:lol::lol:

Holy cow! I've got a long snout 4-71. I haven't run it yet, but blower belt looks right to me and hangs on when I crank it. But I haven't fired it up yet. I need a friggin different waterneck.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back