Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body lengthening

putz

Has anybody done a lengthen on a body at home.

100_1442.jpg
first link was bad

Mine's lengthened. Oh wait... nevermind... mine's steel :)
My dads is lengthened I think. I know it is widened. Same process. I thought it was kinda cool the way he widened it. He put a coat of pva on the rear of the body, then laid up a couple layers of glass over it. After it cured he pulled it off, and trimmed it up to the width he wanted. That gave him a strip of glass with the contour of the body. Then he cut the body in half, put the piece in, and glassed it in from the inside. Then ground it and the body out on the outside, to lay more glass in, without getting a big hump in it. Simple, and worked nicely. I dont see why it wouldnt work on the sides too.

Has anybody done a lengthen on a body at home.

Hey LKE, theres a article over at NTBA thats very informative! I took mine over to a friends....he widened my body....I converted his old diesel blower over to run on his smallblock....worked out good...

Hey LKE, theres a article over at NTBA thats very informative! I took mine over to a friends....he widened my body....I converted his old diesel blower over to run on his smallblock....worked out good...

If its the one I am thinking of, I read it a long time ago. to me it is way overkill. I think the way they did a notch cut to prevent a stress crack forming area, was unnecessary. With the way glass is, if you cover the area sufficiently on both sides, it wont crack any way. I play with glass alot. cutting a body and modifying it doesnt faze me. I wish my current car was glass. the body mods would have been done quicker :)

Thinking I will have to change the angle in frame z to extend body any comments welcome. I know I will have some rear suspension issues to deal with.Otherwise Z will be in my crack.

brantsstuff017.jpg

brantsstuff019.jpg

Thinking I will have to change the angle in frame z to extend body any comments welcome. I know I will have some rear suspension issues to deal with.Otherwise Z will be in my crack.

brantsstuff017.jpg

brantsstuff019.jpg

Hey Putz....if you got a plasma cutter....on the bottom, cut both side and over the top and on the top of your kickup....cut both sides and the underneath side on both members.... and you can move that puppy around any which way you want, get her back even and reweld her.

Of course....you'll have to realign things and all.....that way....it'd save from you having to totally cut your frame apart....but it'll allowyou to lean back your kickup....effectively changing the angle back there....gaining clearence at the rear of your body....

If you lean it back, the gaps in the cuts are gonna widen up....just cut some 'cheek plates' and weld them to both sides of the frame members and the top and bottom cuts....the frame will be stronger than before.....

That is kinda what i have planned laying a piece on the side before cutting to get the angle I want mark it. Measuring certain spots in the frame distance then cut one side with a portaband weld it then same to the other.

Oh Putz....like those rear coils.....looks cool. The build looks NICE!

Oh Putz....like those rear coils.....looks cool. The build looks NICE!

Hey guys....is it me or is my last post laid over someone elses? If so....how do you move it the read the last one???? I think it was Ex Junk's....not sure...and over the reply button....theres a Levi's ad there that won't move.... :thinkn:

Now....the last two are over the mans post.....'Jethro....theres something going on here....go get Granny!' :thinkn: :winkn:

That is kinda what i have planned laying a piece on the side before cutting to get the angle I want mark it. Measuring certain spots in the frame distance then cut one side with a portaband weld it then same to the other.

Putz...you da man! Got it all under control. Yea...you canget som 2x2 tubing and tack good under your framerails...then when things get cut loose....you'll have a reference surface to measure to, also....if you use heavy tubing (3/16 or 1/4)....you can use it to jack ot pry if you need too, also....to tweak it back into tolerance.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back