Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Build a Dash for Your T

Youngster

VIP
VIP Member
I have a car going together in the shop now that has a used body on it. The dash that came with the body had holes for 9 guages in it. Since most builders prefer a 5 or 6 guage set up, I thought a new dash was needed.

dashbuild012Small.jpg

This is what was left after removing the old dash.

dashbuild001Small.jpg

Here are the pieces for the new dash. The panel is a piece of 18ga. with 1/4" beads rolled in it. For support, a length of 1/2" square 14ga. tubing was shaped to fit the bottom contour of the dash. Because I wanted to fold 1/2" of the panel at a 90 degree angle without losing the bead, a 3/16" rod was shaped to match the tube.

dashbuild002Small.jpg

This shows the rod being tacked to the bottom edge of the tube. I tacked it about every 1".

dashbuild003Small.jpg

dashbuild004Small.jpg

The finished tube/rod ground and ready for assembly.

dashbuild005Small.jpg

I used 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood to buck the panel while hammer forming the bottom lip.

dashbuild006Small.jpg

Starting from each end, I tacked the panel to the tube. When i reached the middle, there where several puckers. I tacked the middle of the curve first, then split the distance between that tack and the previous on on each side with another tack. Then repeated that, hammer shrinking the puckers as i went.

dashbuild007Small.jpg

As you can see the puckers are gone.

dashbuild008Small.jpg

Since the dash is 18Ga. and had a bead rolled in it, the ends needed a backing. For this I used pieces of 12ga. shaped to match the ends of the panel.

dashbuild011Small.jpg

Here they are welded in place and ground.

dashbuild013Small.jpg

Here's the finished dash waiting for the new owner to install the gauges. This project took about 6 hours to complete including the thought process and Pepsi breaks. It was done with simple hand tool that most everyone has on hand in their toolbox. Nothing magical to it. Try it yourself!

Looks Great!!! Unfortunately, some of us aren't as talented as others, ha!! Check out the form of the dash on my "Billet-T". It gives a little more leg room across the board, as opposed to the standard t lines.

That's some Great metalwork Ron :cool:

A hammer in the hands of an artist is a magical thing. Rooster verse 10 chapter 11.

You guys got this all wrong!!! Except for the bead I rolled in this dash, this is very doable for any of you. A flat dash with a nice instrument pannel for the guages would look great. The key to this dash is the 18ga. mat'l. Just try it .. it's not hard or magical I tell ya!!!

Ron

I have a car going together in the shop now that has a used body on it. The dash that came with the body had holes for 9 guages in it. Since most builders prefer a 5 or 6 guage set up, I thought a new dash was needed.

dashbuild012Small.jpg

This is what was left after removing the old dash.

dashbuild001Small.jpg

Here are the pieces for the new dash. The panel is a piece of 18ga. with 1/4" beads rolled in it. For support, a length of 1/2" square 14ga. tubing was shaped to fit the bottom contour of the dash. Because I wanted to fold 1/2" of the panel at a 90 degree angle without losing the bead, a 3/16" rod was shaped to match the tube.

dashbuild002Small.jpg

This shows the rod being tacked to the bottom edge of the tube. I tacked it about every 1".

dashbuild003Small.jpg

dashbuild004Small.jpg

The finished tube/rod ground and ready for assembly.

dashbuild005Small.jpg

I used 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood to buck the panel while hammer forming the bottom lip.

dashbuild006Small.jpg

Starting from each end, I tacked the panel to the tube. When i reached the middle, there where several puckers. I tacked the middle of the curve first, then split the distance between that tack and the previous on on each side with another tack. Then repeated that, hammer shrinking the puckers as i went.

dashbuild007Small.jpg

As you can see the puckers are gone.

dashbuild008Small.jpg

Since the dash is 18Ga. and had a bead rolled in it, the ends needed a backing. For this I used pieces of 12ga. shaped to match the ends of the panel.

dashbuild011Small.jpg

Here they are welded in place and ground.

dashbuild013Small.jpg

Here's the finished dash waiting for the new owner to install the guages. This project took about 6 hours to complete including the thought process and Pepsi breaks. It was done with simple hand tool that most everyone has on hand in their toolbox. Nothing magical to it. Try it yourself!

Just my skill, Youngster.

thomas

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back