Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Camshaft selection

Keeper

I was wondering if anyone had some input on intake/camshaft selection. I was considering an edlebrock performer intake and a compcam 268H or the edlebrock performer plus 270, but thought I would get some input from those that already drive their buckets around.

Its a basic 350 rebuild.

.30 over block
882 heads
most likely a 600 vacuum sec Holley

So we have a 355 with 76cc heads. 9:1 compression
A 700r4 transmission that will be rebuilt shortly.
Rear end currently has 2.88's but most likely will be re-geared to 3.73 or 4.11

I plan on putting a ton of miles on this things so and do not really need more the 300hp so nothing to radical. Though a little thump would be nice :)

Any suggestions out there?

Stick with a dual plane intake. For a close to stock rebuild dont go over about 220 degrees of duration, they are usually a little longer on the exhaust than the intake. I have used a 204/214 @ .050 duration and was pretty happy with it. It is small enough that you dont sacrafice any low end , but still works well up to about 5000 RPM. Much bigger than this and you start moving the power band up. I hate stepping on the gas and waiting for the engine speed to come up before things start to happen. You can compensate for a bigger cam with a higher stall torque converter, but thar solution has it's downside too.

Keeper said:
I was wondering if anyone had some input on intake/camshaft selection. I was considering an edlebrock performer intake and a compcam 268 or the edlebrock performer plus 270, but thought I would get some input from those that already drive their buckets around.

Its a basic 350 rebuild.

.30 over block
882 heads

I plan on putting a ton of miles on this things so and do not really need more the 300hp so nothing to radical. Though a little thump would be nice :)

Edelbrock Airgap intake and Comp Cams XE268 would work well, with an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 650CFM carb.

flat tappet cam in an automatic car? For street driving, I would go one small step below the 268H, unless youre really planning on changing the gears, which by the way I think you'd need to bump up your stall as well.

My ex girlfriend had a 65 Nova with a 327 I built that had a 262H in it. Lots of low end grunt for a street motor, still revved hard and I had blockhuggers with 2.25" pipe and glasspacks with turnouts under the car ending before the axle. Nice little thump with a little gurgle to it. personally I dont like that signature flowmaster sound at idle, but love it at road speed.

Id call Comp. They'll tell you that you'll need to settle on your rear end gearing and Stall speed before you pick your cam. Their new XFI grinds are nice too along with the thumpr line, but I think those are a bit on the agro side for you. What about an LT1 retro cam from crane?

Thanks. I was thinking that 5500 would be about the upper limit I was looking for. Idle-5500 seems to be about the range. I will probably stick with a stock stall of around 1200. It would be a hydraulic cam, the ticking would drive me nuts otherwise!

I will take a peek at the 262.

I had the 268H in a 327 in my 68 Camaro had nice pull up to 5500 but then it fell on its face, which was fine since it was my daily driver.

with the low gear of the 700r4 you'll love a low end cam. I personally love the performer rpm airgap and a 650cfm edelbrock with mechanical secondaries. mechanical or vac, make sure the secondaries open all the way the the appropriate time. I had a Q Jet that the throttle shaft wouldnt open them 100%, boy it pissed me off. I like the 260-series cams. Lisas nova had a 307 with pocket ported 305 heads and a 270H with a T10 behind it. that car had some serious snort, but she couldnt drive it. with 14" cragars and radials it was a rocket out of the hole. no vac booster and no power steering though...I had to tame it down for her...hence the bigger cube motor with more bottom end. That had IK180 brodix entry level aluminum heads and an airgap (non RPM) with a 600 carter (edelbrock) and eventually a 700r4. Had to get a special oil pan (opted for a Stef's) and I also sprung for the mini starter and blockhuggers with thick flanges and Stage 8 locking header bolts. Was a sharp car. It was
midnight blue with a dark blue and white interior and a woodgrain camaro steering wheel and a sunpro super tach II.

Nate

I have the 700r4 behind my 383 stroker in my tub. At the BASH this car got 21 MPG. It has a 3.73 gear and a 26" tall tire. I have a 2200 stall in this car, but the lock up still works off a toggle on the dash then thru the stop light switch. At 45 locked up the car is a bit of a dog, because the cam is too big. If you unlock the converter it is a beast. You like the low first gear of the 700r4

LumenAl said:
I'm very happy with my comp cam 268H in my high compression 327... Lot's of poop!

Yeah I loved that 327, I beat the snot out of that thing and could not hurt it. Of course the 4mpg hurt me a bit but then at the time it was $1.15 for 93 octane!!

I looked around for one for the bucket but ended up with the 350. Not that I am complaining :lol:

RPM said:
I have the 700r4 behind my 383 stroker in my tub. At the BASH this car got 21 MPG. It has a 3.73 gear and a 26" tall tire. I have a 2200 stall in this car, but the lock up still works off a toggle on the dash then thru the stop light switch. At 45 locked up the car is a bit of a dog, because the cam is too big. If you unlock the converter it is a beast. You like the low first gear of the 700r4

Well I started off with a 4l80e. But there was no way that I could find to get away from the electronics. Well other then a full manual valve body, and well I am to lazy for that...lol. Just happens that my wife is good friends with someone that owns a transmission shop, so I swapped him the 80 for the 700. He will even get me the rebuild kit for cost :eek:

go to comp cams site... or do a search for camquest 6.. download it and olay with it..

its real simple, just like desktop dyno.. you plug your build in and it'll give you choices of recommended camshafts, and what stall converter you should use with it..

Keeper said:
I was wondering if anyone had some input on intake/camshaft selection. I was considering an edlebrock performer intake and a compcam 268H or the edlebrock performer plus 270, but thought I would get some input from those that already drive their buckets around.

Its a basic 350 rebuild.

.30 over block
882 heads

I plan on putting a ton of miles on this things so and do not really need more the 300hp so nothing to radical. Though a little thump would be nice :hooray:

i have an eqivalent to the 268 h in mine and i love it.that is a very good street cam in my opinion.it has a very noticable idle and a good power range.and works great with the stock converter in my 700r4.i have a almost the same set up in mine as you described 350 4 bolt main..040 over 882 heads reworked and shaved .020 weiand excelerator single plane intake 750 edelbrock that i put smaller jets in(ran rich out of the box) and 268h cam.700 trans and 373 rear.i have nothing but good things to say about the 268 cam;).

Keeper said:
Thanks for the info. Much better to hear it from someone driving it!
i have to tell ya i have driven this engine in the bucket very little only a couple trips around the block so far.however i did run this same engine in an 84 firebird drag car for about 5 months or so before i pulled it to put it in the bucket.it ran realy good in the firebird which weighed about 3200 lbs. but it is almost scary in the bucket which weighs about half of what the fire bird did.lots of torque tap the pedal and she jumps like a scared rabbit.lol:lol:

do I get a gold star????

Seriously though; Im not a fan of driving my racecar on the street. One of my friends (Ed Croozer) had a 'glas deuce coupe with a dart 427 SBC putting out 630hp on gas alone; with a serious TH350 and 3.73:1s. That car was honestly sickening to drive. I ran out of balls before it shifted into 3rd gear. The one time he took it to Lebanon drags, it ran a sub 10-sec. a $100 bill to drive 60 miles. Now hes driving a model A sedan converted into a sedan delivery with a Mercruiser iron duke 4cyl and a T5 5-spd; he gets over 30mpg and from stoplight to stoplight hes pretty quick against most V8s.

Point being? theres no shame in buildig a car to be a driver and being proud of that.

Sure I will give you a gold star :rock:

Thanks for the advice. I didn't even consider anything smaller then the 268H.

I do plan on putting miles on this thing. Family is in Ohio which is an 8 hour drive. Other family in Chicago another 8. Then the left cost family in L.A. That might bit a long trip!!

117524536035x1f5.jpg

:rock:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back