Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Camshaft selection

I think we all suffer a lil from magazine-itis wanting a 540 bigblock or a 454 small block in our grocery getter. No shame there. Something I dont want in my garage is a car I cant drive hard when I want. Its going to be built solid but for a purpose ie drag car or classy grocery getter with a little grumble to it. Im not the pro street type; when I was a kid, my parents lived down the road from Rick Dobbertin's shop and I remember seeing some of his stuff going down the road. It never did anything for me; rolling art sure - but art is subjective.

I have a blown bigblock in my T and it will make you say that is good enough I need no more power. There is nothing cool about driving 70 mph and dumping the throttle and the tires break loose :eek: . However I will never change it to anything less.

OldredT said:
I have a blown bigblock in my T and it will make you say that is good enough I need no more power. There is nothing cool about driving 70 mph and dumping the throttle and the tires break loose :eek: . However I will never change it to anything less.

lol...I knew there were some around here that actually drove a blown bb T. More power to ya!

In cam selection for a street car, usually less is more.

I built a 350 once upon a time that went into my 69 Chevy Garage service truck. The truck had a stock automatic and a 3.08 gear.

I used stock truck heads and pistons with a stock 350HP 327 cam from a 65 Chevelle. I used the stock Corvette ( I think they were pink) dual valve springs with a damper. And topped it off with a spread bore Holley.

At the time, it would outrun most anything around in back road races:)

I think Crane lists a modern version of this cam. It has a nice lope to the idle but makes enough vacuum for street carburation.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back