Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Can i use the wire kit that i have?

streetmaster

Hey fella's, got a ? about a Painless wire kit that i purchaced for a 1976 GMC pickup. I purchaced it to rewire the truck because the factory harness was a mess. In any event, i had to part the truck out, but i still have the brand new Painless harness kit that i paid $495 bannanas for. Its sitting in a box in my gurage, and was thinking on starting a T-Bucket project. Is there a posible way that a kit like this, maybe work to wire up a T-Bucket? The painless kit is just a basic kit, and i bet that the herness wouldnt even know if it were in a 76 GMC, or a T-Bucket LOL. My next ? is where do the harnesses go in a T-Bucket first off, because it woud'nt matter to me where i had to install the fuse panel part. Please Advise :feedback:

You can certainly use that kit to wire a T. A T is VERY basic and needs only a few circuits. You can mount the panel anywhere you choose because the wires in your kit are more than long enough to reach anywhere on the car. Many guys choose to mount it under the seat and some opt to mount it in the bed in a "conventional" type T. I mounted mine behind the dash on a drop down panel. In doing so, I can trouble shoot the system without having to lay on my back and work behind the dash. The most important thing is to do a neat job on your installation. Trying to trouble shoot a "pile of spaghetti" is NOT a fun job.

The only thing I can see is you will have to modify the circuits for the ignition and turn signals. Because that kit should have the plug for the GM column. Then just delete everything you don't need.

I would sell the painless kit on fleabay and get some of my money back out of it. Then wire the bucket from scratch and walk away with some leftover jingle in my pocket. If you take your time your home made harness will be really nice and it will probably look nicer than the painless that was designed to work with a pickup. Just my 2 cents... Good luck dude!! Paul

I agree with norseman. With a good diagram, wiring your T is not that hard to do. Each car I have wired has had something different in it. So when I'm finished, I make up a diagram for each system on that car. Really helps when it comes to trouble shotting.

Ron

norseman said:
I would sell the painless kit on fleabay and get some of my money back out of it. Then wire the bucket from scratch and walk away with some leftover jingle in my pocket. If you take your time your home made harness will be really nice and it will probably look nicer than the painless that was designed to work with a pickup. Just my 2 cents... Good luck dude!! Paul
Yeah that would probly be the best thing to do, is put it on (fleabay) LOL. The plan that i have for this year hopefully is get the budget kit from TP for $1500 big ones and start from there. And buy that time i should be able to afford the kit for a 23T.

Streetmaster, I think I will follow the advice from the others. I purchased an It's-a-Snap (I know, I know) harness for a '54 Pontiac project that I abandoned and was going to use in my bucket project. But I tried to figure out where to hide the miles of wire that were designed to fit the "big boats". The GM ignition harness wasn't an issue because I'll be going with an old school homemade-type column with external signal and 4-way switches.

I'm new to this game so if someone could just design a schematic that doesn't look like an electrical fire waiting to happen......

Paranoid

Unless you have a complicated bucket with many circuits, I just bought wire and weather back connectors to do my wiring. That is what I like about buckets, simple and basic the way car should be....before computers. All you need is ignition, gauges and lights.....**** everything else. If you have more than that you have made it too complicated!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for the foul language on my previous post......too many years in the military, it is just second nature. Hopefully, I did not offend anyone.

Reactions: RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back