· Canadians plant gardens.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)
· Italian Cars won't start
· Canadians drive with the windows down

32° Fahrenheit (0° C)
· American water freezes
· Canadian water gets thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)
· New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
· Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C)
· Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
· Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9° Fahrenheit (-78.5° C)
· Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
· Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C)
· Ethyl alcohol freezes.
· Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg

-459.67° Fahrenheit (-273.15° C)
· Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
· Canadians start saying "cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)
· Hell freezes over.
· The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

I met a nice Canadian couple on an Alaskan cruise. He was a farmer, said they had to bury water lines
EIGHT FEET DEEP to prevent freezing. I cannot imagine, hit some rock and you run into some big money and time. I'll bet you don't skimp on quality in the pipe you use, a re do would not be a weekend project.

They are talking a high of 6 here tomorrow Fahrenheit not Celsius.BRRRR feels like January.

42 here tomorrow.

Burying pipes that far down is not uncommon. You have to get below the frost line. A lot of homes east of the Rockies have foundations that go down at least 6 feet. Anything built above it will shift. Slab foundations are extremely rare. Along the west coast its not so bad. My foundation only goes down about 2 feet but we do not have the frost line. It still gets cold though, mainly because I am in a maritime climate.

In Edmonton Ab the frost line was about 5'. Almost all homes have a basement for that reason. The foundation ends up 6-7 below ground level and the pipes are below that. Now if you live in a manufactured home like my parents everything is wrapped in heat tape and when it quits everything freezes just like it did last week for my parents. Here in Louisiana the pipes are barely below the surface like Ron mentioned.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back