Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Car Show Questions

anglwngss

We are going to host a car show in Texas in 2011. This will be a first time event for myself and the company I work for. The proceeds will be to benefit mentally disabled people served by our company.

Anyway, since it's our first, we want to make it the best we can.

What makes you want to go to a car show?

What makes you want to leave?

What are the best awards? (dash plaques only, award plaques, trophies, doesn't matter)

What is good for the spouse/kids to do?

What works?

What doesn't?

If you have any other tips, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Hi
I am sure there are lots of people who are happy to help you with this and give advise, tip etc.
Can I suggest you offer a little more info. I just checked out your profile and there is no info there.
The members are very generous with their knowledge and will help anyone they can.
So please give us a little more to go on..Welcome by the way and i hope you can benefit from visiting us.
Gerry

No problem. I'll give as much as I can. :)

My name is Anita and I work for Community Opportunities, Inc. It is a workshop/day program for the mentally disabled people in Johnson County. Currently, we have three main fundraisers; nickel auction, a prom night, and a walk/run. I recently participated in a small car show that was a fundraising event for another organization in Dallas and presented the idea to our CFO about having our own car show. He's very excited and supportive of the idea.

However, we have never done one before and although I have been to many shows as a spectator, I have only participated in one. I would like this even to be a recurring event and I would like it to grow, be fun, have lots of people and be a success as a fundraiser. Since I've never really been on this end before, I want those experienced in shows to let me know what to look for so that, hopefully, we'll get it right!

Anyway, COI is located in Keene, Tx and we'd most likely have the show in either Cleburne or Burleson. We are in the very beginning stages of planning. We do not have a name for the show or a date set up yet.

I'm happy to answer any additional questions you've got for me and thanks for helping me out!

Welcome to the board! I've helped with a few shows, but these are strictly my opinions.

First, check on insurance for the event!!!! Nobody likes to think about it, but bad things can happen and you want you and your company covered.

For a charity show, you will most likely want an open show. This means anyone can bring their car. Some shows have a year cut off so that similar cars are at the show. An example would be 72 and earlier. An open show will give you a larger pool of potential car owners so you can raise more money. Don't forget to include motorcycles if possible. Most local groups like HOG (Harley Owners Group) and the GWRRA (Goldwing Road Riders Assoc) will attend these charity events.

Try to get the local Chamber of Commerce involved. They usually like these types of events. They may be able to help with locations, insurance and advertising. They can sometimes get local merchants and hotels to give special deals to show participants.

Local merchants may want to donate stuff for door prizes. Make up some show fliers and ask local stores to display them. That's a good time to ask for any donations they may want to make.

Also, contact any local car clubs. They may want to help. They may also have some of the stuff you will need like games, canopies, and sound systems. I know several clubs in my area have such setups or know how to borrow them. Give the car clubs some show fliers and ask them to pass them out at any shows they attend. It's a good way to get the word out about the show. They may be able to help you pick a date for your show so that you don't have a conflict with any other local shows.

Make sure you have enough room. You don't want the cars jammed in together. A grassy field is nice, but might become a muddy mess if it rains.

One rule you need to enforce is the only music allowed is the official event announcer and DJ. Nothing gets on people's nerves quicker than several 1000 watt sound systems in an unofficial "crank it up" contest.

Home made trophies are a nice touch if you have the people available to make them. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter.

50 50 pots usually do well. Numbered tickets are sold (usually for a $1 each). Matching numbered tickets are put in a container and one is drawn at the end of the show. You keep drawing until you get a winner. The show and the winner split the drawing proceeds.

Coloring contests are good for the kids. PPG paint has a car related coloring book they will send you for free. Also, for the kids is the "Candy Guess". A jar is filled with candy and the kids get to guess how many peices are in the jar. That might not raise money unless you want to charge for the guesses, but the kids like it.

Hope some of this helps. I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Good luck.

Mike

As a graduate of SUC (now SWAU), I know exactly where Keene is.

We have a local chapter of the National T Bucket Alliance in the Dallas area, and if you contact our president, we might be able to help you run your event.

Look around on this board for 23TGfigms and send him an e-mail. Or send me a private message.

Here's another couple of questions for you guys..

I'm out of the loop when it comes to antique/classic cars that you guys have. What kinds of raffle/give-away items would be good for y'all?

We all use socket sets, car wash items, oil? But, I'm sure things like a gift certificate from ridergraphix.com wouldn't benefit you at all. So what would?

Here's another couple of questions for you guys..

I'm out of the loop when it comes to antique/classic cars that you guys have. What kinds of raffle/give-away items would be good for y'all?

We all use socket sets, car wash items, oil? But, I'm sure things like a gift certificate from ridergraphix.com wouldn't benefit you at all. So what would?

I belong to our local Ford and Mustang club and we have two large shows per year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I didn't see if you are non profit organization but we are. When we are looking for raffle/door prize gifts a few members will hit the streets looking for donations. We have a letter explaining the club with our club information, tax numbers etc for any donations and gifts. We also wear our club shirts etc. At the same time you need to take flyers/posters and ask them if they will hang them on the door etc. Getting the word out is the most important thing. It is more professional and people seem to be more willing to donate items. The one thing we have found over the years is that automotive type places are the least likely to donate or support a car show. I don't know why but that has been the case year after year. Gifts can come from anywhere like parts places (rare), restaurants, stores what ever. People don't care what they win they are just happy they won something. Now I don't mean you want to give away rusty bolts but I know that I like to win a $20 gift certificate for Logans etc, it doesn't need to be a big ticket item.

I assume you are going to have a 50/50 draw as well. We give a way deals like 1 for a dollar, 8 for $5, 20 for $10, and $20 for your car length. Our show last month raised more money then ever and they were wheeling out tickets by the car length. Twenty bucks sounds like a lot but they are getting so many tickets that people jump all over that deal.

Car wash items are cool but IMHO I would skip the socket etc. More than likely most people will already have tools at home and a $7 socket set from Harbor Freight is not that exciting. Now if you were to get some tools from a major manufacturer then that might be different but it will be unlikely and it will cost too much on your end. The end goal is to raise funds so you need to be wise where you spend your funds.

One of the best raffle items is FOOD. dinner out is always a hit no matter who you are.

I've tried to resist, but I'm weak this morning, so:

The thing I look at when deciding weather or not to go to a car show is who's paying for what. It's aways anoyed me that as builders we all spend hundreds, thousands, and tens of thousands of both dollars and hours to build the car of our dreams, but then we have to pay someone to enter it in a car show that the public gets to see for free. I'm sorry, but something is just wrong with that picture. go to any racing event and the public is charged to see the event, but car shows are totally the burden of the participants.
At one show I always do try to enter, the entry fee is 4 non perishable items of food which is donated to needy groups in the area. even that fee is optional. the puiblic is asked to also donate, but not required. no arm twisting, there's just a big barell at the entrance.

rant over,
Russ

All ideas are appreciated, even rants. It is helpful to know and hopefully understand the whys and the how tos from other people. You were not the first to say paying to enter stinks.

Speaking personally, in a way, I kind of agree with you. However, probably the reason why is so they (whoever's holding the car show) will have something guarenteed as income. I know, for us, especially starting out, we'll have no idea how many participants will be there let alone how many spectators.

With that being said, though, in racing events, aren't the racers also charged to enter? and TMS has their huge car show where both the spectators and the participants are charged. I think it's a little easier, too, to be able to charge spectators if the car show/event is very large, well known, and has some sort of gate/fence to block off spectators until they've paid. I've been to several car shows where they were held in parks, or church parking lot, etc. where it appears it would be more difficult to get spectators to pay.

Either way, I really am thankful for all the replies. If anyone else is hesitant or doesn't want to post for any reason, please PM me! Like I said, everything is appreciated, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

I've never contributed to putting together a show, but have enjoyed them many times. The raffle (50/50) thing is a lot of fun, but do not wait until the last minute of the day for the drawing. It seem to keep people excited to have drawings for door prizes during the show. Some of the things, I have enjoyed winning are certificates for a case of motor oil from a local vendor, brings someone in the store and you get to choose the wt oil. Filters do well and you can draw for these every 30 minutes, without breaking the bank. I really enjoy hearing the old songs, DJ, if not too loud.

good luck,

The thing I look at when deciding weather or not to go to a car show is who's paying for what. It's aways anoyed me that as builders we all spend hundreds, thousands, and tens of thousands of both dollars and hours to build the car of our dreams, but then we have to pay someone to enter it in a car show that the public gets to see for free. I'm sorry, but something is just wrong with that picture. go to any racing event and the public is charged to see the event, but car shows are totally the burden of the participants.
At one show I always do try to enter, the entry fee is 4 non perishable items of food which is donated to needy groups in the area. even that fee is optional. the puiblic is asked to also donate, but not required. no arm twisting, there's just a big barell at the entrance.

rant over,
Russ

In our case Russ (and I am sure others) the entry fee pays for the trophies and plaques and other costs. Don't forget the main idea is to also raise funds for a certain cause. I bet 95% of the car shows we attend are fund raisers for organizations just like what Anita is doing. Spectators are free because they don't have a chance to win anything other than the 50/50 and they have to buy that. At one of our shows you can park in the show area and you are not required to register but you are not eligible to win anything either. I have never bought a trophy but I am sure the trophy shop doesn't accept beans as a form of payment. There used to be one local show that used to charge spectators and I quit going to it because it was NOT a charity organization. I hate to put it this way but I have to decide if I feel like I am getting my moneys worth when I consider going. I like to help charities but I still have my own priorities to take care of first. I will say that we only charge $20 to enter and that is what most of the other shows around here charge as well so it is pretty cheap compared to any other type of entertainment now a days.

I think the exception to what I have mentioned is the super large Powerama type car show. These cost money for everybody to attend but I don't think that is a even comparison to what we are talking about here. To me that is more comparable to a large race event.

In our case Russ (and I am sure others) the entry fee pays for the trophies and plaques and other costs. Don't forget the main idea is to also raise funds for a certain cause. I bet 95% of the car shows we attend are fund raisers for organizations just like what Anita is doing. Spectators are free because they don't have a chance to win anything other than the 50/50 and they have to buy that.

I understand that awards cost money, and that the people that put the show on do deserve to be compensated. believe me, I've done plenty of that legwork myself, in other (non auto related) events. and I agree that raising funds for a cause is a great idea. what i disagree with is who should pay for that. spectators don't get a chance to win anything at races either, but that's not why they're there. they come to see the event. if a car show isn't worth the spectator paying for, then perhaps it isn't worth having shows. just send all classic car owners a bill to fund your personal favorite charity and save a lot of footwork.
If a cause is truely worthwile, then I believe spectators will come out to support that cause, even if they don't necessarily care about seeing the cars in some cases. is it a gamble for the promotor to stick their neck out like that? absolutly. but if the cause is truely a good one, then it will all work out IMHO. heck. charge a couple bucks to the car owner also. just in case it flops, just don't expect the car owners to support the whole shebang. that's all I'm saying.

And thank you Anita for hearing my rant. I do know how much effort goes into organizing an event, and my hat is off to you for giving it a go. I hope it works out even better than you ever hoped for.

Russ

I spent a time in sales and marketing. Here's a suggestion, if you haven't already thought of it.
Local radio and TV. I know they get a lot of people promoting stuff but hey why not give them a call and throw your pitch. Also send PRs to all the papers.

TIP: If you write a PR make sure its snappy, to the point and short. I have found that if you write a PR so that the media can just read it out they are more likely to go for it. I always submitted a short PR with a longer piece on the background to justify why my PR was worth air time. It gives the editor a reason to look at you more closely. Then if the PR has been produced correctly he or she doesn't have to do any work.. they just hand it to the presenter.
Give it a go. They can only say no.
I once did a spot on the local TV news(about 90 seconds on air) for our hot rod drags. The organizers said it doubled the attendance
Gerry

I spent a time in sales and marketing. Here's a suggestion, if you haven't already thought of it.
Local radio and TV. I know they get a lot of people promoting stuff but hey why not give them a call and throw your pitch. Also send PRs to all the papers.

TIP: If you write a PR make sure its snappy, to the point and short. I have found that if you write a PR so that the media can just read it out they are more likely to go for it. I always submitted a short PR with a longer piece on the background to justify why my PR was worth air time. It gives the editor a reason to look at you more closely. Then if the PR has been produced correctly he or she doesn't have to do any work.. they just hand it to the presenter.
Give it a go. They can only say no.
I once did a spot on the local TV news(about 90 seconds on air) for our hot rod drags. The organizers said it doubled the attendance
Gerry

90 seconds is a huge chunck of time, congrats. Just think what the turnout might have been had Sky News picked it up?

Bob

Usually the local channels will air local events so our club officers are on TV every 6 months for our two shows and of course it is free.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back