Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

carb question

jjsticks

i think its the carbs.back me up.the builder of the car 27t made just about everything on this car including the intake manifold.from what i see she took a 4 bbl.manifold and plained it and filled so it would run with 2x2 carbs.i took the apart and rebuilt the carbs .i ve done that before.the second carb is just for the secondaries heres the problem real bad bogg down.i see that drex (who i brought the car from)had the same problem from is old postings.he never disclosed that but thats my fault.i'm thinking about changing the manifold and run a 650 holley.who builds there own manifolds??theres a science to the production of the manifold.it one of the oddest problems ive ever felt on a car.jj

jjsticks said:
i think its the carbs.back me up.the builder of the car 27t made just about everything on this car including the intake manifold.from what i see she took a 4 bbl.manifold and plained it and filled so it would run with 2x2 carbs.i took the apart and rebuilt the carbs .i ve done that before.the second carb is just for the secondaries heres the problem real bad bogg down.i see that drex (who i brought the car from)had the same problem from is old postings.he never disclosed that but thats my fault.i'm thinking about changing the manifold and run a 650 holley.who builds there own manifolds??theres a science to the production of the manifold.it one of the oddest problems ive ever felt on a car.jj

Sir, I am sorry I don't mean to offend you in any way, I'd really like to offer some help. Please reread your post, proper grammar and punctuation really help when trying to describe the problem you're experiencing. I think I have an idea of what you're asking but am not willing to venture an answer until I'm sure I understand what you're saying. I can understand your frustration, I've beaten my head against a wall over lesser problems. Please, take a deep breath and restate your problem.

Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 Performer carb. And as stated above. Slow down and check what you are asking. We want to help, but first we need to understand.;)

tfeverfred said:
Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 Performer carb. And as stated above. Slow down and check what you are asking. We want to help, but first we need to understand.;)

Thank you tfeverfred, I was unaware of any mention of an Edelbrock Performer manifold or 600 performer carburetor. I run a Edelbrock RPM intake manifold with a Mighty Demon 750 carb. and even though I have mechanical secondaries and no choke I've learned to how adjust and enjoy it.

Telman2 said:
Thank you tfeverfred, I was unaware of any mention of an Edelbrock Performer manifold or 600 performer carburetor. I run a Edelbrock RPM intake manifold with a Mighty Demon 750 carb. and even though I have mechanical secondaries and no choke I've learned to how adjust and enjoy it.

As far as the choke goes. it's only logical. You run your car car when it's nice roadster weather (aka: warm/hot) and you don't need a choke. I didn't run on one here in Texass.:biggrin:

Edelbrock Performer is a good low to mid range RPM manifold. (1500RPM to 5200RPM). If you're doing or planning more than that, then step up to a blower and get a roll bar.:lol:

tfeverfred said:

That's the same setup I use on my T. I have a electric choke, but I really don't need one. Only drive in the summer time anyway.

thomas:)

man i do need to slow down.sorry guys,What I am asking is....can you take a 4 bbl.manifold and modify it so you can run two 2bbl carbs?the second carb is just a dummy carb used only for the secondary throat? I have this really bad hesitation.seems like a bad idea.wouldn't the last couple cyl's starve for fuel on take off?/see photo if it worked...View attachment 1059

MVC-016S.JPG

Is this what you are looking for? You could block off the back carb.

Vintage Speed

I don't see any reason that would not work as long as you don't have a vac leak. A lot of hesitations are from low timing! Check the timing very close and make sure all of the advances are working.

Todd that looks like what the builder was trying to make.I'm just worried that since he made the intake manifold maybe he over looked something.when i purchased the car from drex he said the carbs needed overhauling even gave me 2 kits.well i did that its still the same way.i looked at drex old posting and it seems he had the same problems.its really hard to describe in words what the car is doing.who wants to go for a road test.?lol.problem is now its too cold for road test.guys thanks for you time.I will look into the timing .jj

I think I would rebuild the carbs 1st. Lots of times an old accelerator pump will cause a hesitation or bog. Since you were told they needed to be rebuilt, that is the logical first step.

There were lots of adapter plates available in the 1950s and 60s. some were too thin and would warp and produce vacuum leaks. I would check that next.

hey bob,i did over haul both carbs,and the carbs do have a spacer on the bottom .pretty heavy duty.thanks for your time bro..jj

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back