Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Question on carbs

WMG

Went for a run yesterday and had a problem with the carb. It is a Holly 650cfm with elect choke. Had a problem with extreme flooding. Car ran rough and finally stopped. Took the air cleaner off and had fuel dripping from the secondary venturies as well as running out the gasket area along the bottom of the carb. The carb sat on the bench all winter, had run stabilizer through the system before being parked last fall. Used a carb/fuel system cleaner in the first tank full this spring. replaced the fuel filter some crud in it but not too much, have seen a lot worse. Being not much of a carb guy need a hint of where to start looking for problems

Holleys are notorious for not liking dirt, even a small spec can jam up the float needles. My Son had on on his 65 Olds for a while and on many a date he would have to pop the hood and clean out the needles. Most times it was a spec so small you couldn't almost see it. He was running two fuel filters and stuff still got through. I think that is what is happening to yours. That is one of the reasons I am an Edelbrock fan vs Holley.......they are just too finicky.

Anyway, you are probably going to find something jamming up the needle and allowing fuel to keep flowing when the floats are up. Clean out the carb and I bet it goes away.

Don

Just as Don said, they don't like dirt, Period! Since you do not have control over the condition of the fuel tanks where you stop to get fuel at, I made for myself a sleeve that fits into the filler neck, is long enough for the snout of fuel handle to go into all the way. In the bottom, I have 2 screens attached. Just gets all the big stuff.
The filter right where the fuel comes out of the tank is a Racor combo filter, with a fuelpump in its head. Then my Mallory spinon fuel filter up on the firewall handles the rest.
You can get a small funnel, or a smaller piece of exhaust tubing, add the screens, and keep it by your fuel tank.
Its not a bad idea out there for everyone to do research and make sure all your carb gaskets are ok with the E 85 mess thats out there.
I got a tank just last week and had to add a bunch of go juice to make her wanna go. My gaskets we not the problem, the mess just didn't want to light.

Holleys are notorious for not liking dirt, even a small spec can jam up the float needles. My Son had on on his 65 Olds for a while and on many a date he would have to pop the hood and clean out the needles. Most times it was a spec so small you couldn't almost see it. He was running two fuel filters and stuff still got through. I think that is what is happening to yours. That is one of the reasons I am an Edelbrock fan vs Holley.......they are just too finicky.

Anyway, you are probably going to find something jamming up the needle and allowing fuel to keep flowing when the floats are up. Clean out the carb and I bet it goes away.

Don

Don thanks for the info. Replaced the filter again cleaned out the needles and it ran a lot better. Had an Edlebrock 600 with manual choke sitting on the shelf for another project I was going to start. After rejigging the lines and making a few small changes I went for a run. Man what a difference, never could get the Holly to run this nice. May have made a carb convert here.

Wayne

I found it necessary to carry a big spanner in my old bucket for when the carb did that. Thumping the fuel bowls a couple of times with the spanner was usually enough to get the muck away from under the needle valve.

Permanent solution was to replace the Holley with an Edelbrock. That worked a treat

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back