Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Changing my brake set1up

I am thinking of changing my brake set up. I wonder if any of you with a total performance bucket post a picture of your brakes and give me any information on your brake system. Thank you

A better approach might be, posting what you are currently running and if you have any issues.
We are a specialized group and like to advise on an issue. We need the issue.
Just joking. My set up is drum/drum, so I doubt you would be interested. I will be watching this to see what you have and where you go.
I will elaborate more on what my brakes are, the rear are something like a 74 Nova axle, small drum and do little with the heavy, tall tires I have on the rear. The brakes loose their mechanical advantage to the tall tire. On the front I have Old Ford drums. They are not self energizing, but are 12" drums, I think. The brake shoes are same as used on a 1949 Ford tractor. The lining material has a high co efficient of friction and contribute greatly to stopping ability. It will almost chirp the tires on a hard stop from slower speeds. Worst part of the system is the single master cylinder, especially with no mechanical parking brake. The parking brake is hydraulic also. SEE, you just thought YOUR brakes need upgrading.
Good luck,

I'm running '46 Ford pick-up on the rear and '67 Econoline on the front. Stops like crazy. (Truck Brakes)

The best stopping T-bucket we have is also drum / drum.

The best stopping T-bucket we have is also drum / drum.

Jeeees.. I wish you hadn't posted that. I've been considering drums all around. I talked myself out of it for what I think are good reasons Then I read this. I'm so confused!!!:D

Found it. Speedway has the kit for $417. Kinda pricey for me but I'm spending way more than I have to to get exactly what I'm dreaming about! Sweet dreams Fred! After a little thought it seems like '55 Ford p/u had self energising brakes that fit your spindles. Try the HAMB for info. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have the wilwood kit I got from total perfect. They work good but squeal real bad.I scuffed the rotors and pads worked good for a while then back to square 1. The master cylinder is below floorThere is no residual or proportion value either it did not come when I ordered everything for my brake I have seen other tp buckets without them and they have same set1up as me and they do not squeal.On my last bucket I had before I had drums all the way around and they were great. I might just go back that way. Does anybody no where I could buy front drum kit. lar do have tp spindles on the front. Thanks

I think drums all around work well on a T-bucket because they're so light. Personally, I like the look of discs up front. Just my opinion.

I am thinking of changing my brake set up. I wonder if any of you with a total performance bucket post a picture of your brakes and give me any information on your brake system. Thank you
More detail would would be most helpful, which direction do you want to go with this thread???

BTW, what do you have, and what do you want to change about it.....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back