Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cheap and Versitile Rotissorie

Mr. Fixit

As I got the metal body that I built (T-Boy Topic Under Bodies), I needed to be able to rotate it 360 degrees to weld the underside, do the body work, priming, etc. Now that the body is completed, I have made a couple of simple adapters to mount the chassis from, which simplifies final welding, grinding and painting. The rotissorie is made up from two Harbour Freight engine stands which I cut the heads off of and welded a square pipe to which gives the height adjustability by various holes drilled in the tube. The square tube slides into the stands vertical tube and uses the brace bolt to adjust the centerline height of the spindle. What goes on the rotissorie is limited only by your imigination. This has proven to be a very useful tool for under $300 If anyone needs other info or photos, let me know..

View attachment: T-Boy 2010 0420 001 (Small).jpg
View attachment: T-Boy 2010 0420 002 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• T-Boy 2010 0420 001 (Small).jpg
    T-Boy 2010 0420 001 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 304
  • T-Boy 2010 0420 002 (Small).jpg
    T-Boy 2010 0420 002 (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 289
I like it! I did something similar, but since I had made a rolling dolly for the body, I used the rotisserie only for the frame. I do like the height adjustibility you made in yours, and I might whip up some similar for use for our next frame.
Bens27139-1.jpg

I didn't want to build a second engine stand so I mounted the second head on a 3/8" plate and lagged it to my bench top. It also works for several other things ... a welding positioner ... a polishing fixture for transmissions ... with a Model A spindle and hub, a painting fixture for Ford wire wheels ....

Ron

I like it! I did something similar, but since I had made a rolling dolly for the body, I used the rotisserie only for the frame. I do like the height adjustibility you made in yours, and I might whip up some similar for use for our next frame.
Bens27139-1.jpg

Awesome! Glad to see others using their noodle. I used the height adjustment to be able to position the body (when it was on the rotissorie) at the rake of the chassis in lieu of having it level. Here are a couple pics of that. Keep up the great work..

T-Boy 2010 0214 002 (Small).jpg
T-Boy 2010 0214 012 (Small).jpg
IMG_2108 (Small).JPG

I didn't want to build a second engine stand so I mounted the second head on a 3/8" plate and lagged it to my bench top. It also works for several other things ... a welding positioner ... a polishing fixture for transmissions ... with a Model A spindle and hub, a painting fixture for Ford wire wheels ....

Ron

More great ideas!. Now I know how I am going to mount my tranny to too.

Great idea. Especially for us bad back guys.LOL

I am in the "bad back club" too. I think it's part of getting older.. Oh wait a minute, I am not old, am I. What was I saying? lol

Awesome! Glad to see others using their noodle. I used the height adjustment to be able to position the body (when it was on the rotissorie) at the rake of the chassis in lieu of having it level. Here are a couple pics of that. Keep up the great work..

[attachment=4006:T-Boy 2010 0214 002 (Small).jpg]
[attachment=4007:T-Boy 2010 0214 012 (Small).jpg]
[attachment=4008:IMG_2108 (Small).JPG]
My son and I did the same thing for the airplane we are building in his garage. Roll it over and pound rivets, 1000's of em!

Being a machine builder i took some Timken taper bearings and converted my engine stand/paint stand.I cut the top tube off and machined a reciver for the bearings and welded it to the upright.Works great Thomas used it also to paint his frame just a slight flip and its over.With an engine (302 ford)on it and you grab it a flip it it goes 3 times around by itself of course the unit wants to jiggle and flip over but if you hold it down it does go 3 times by itself.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back