Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the T-Bucket Forums discussions? Then sign up for a free forum account, today!

Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters                Spirit Industries                Southern Legacy Freight!               

Dismiss Notice
Thank you for visiting the T-Bucket Forums! This site was created in 2006, to provide enthusiasts with a place to discuss T-Buckets. Over the years, there have been many imitators, but this is the T-Bucket resource you have been looking to find. We encourage you to register a FREE account and join in on the discussions.

Checking deck height

Discussion in 'T-Bucket Engine and Driveline Articles' started by volksnut, Jul 6, 2017.

1. volksnut

volksnut
    Expand Collapse

I discovered on disassembly of my T's 350, it was actually a .030 over 355. That's the good but the bad is has low compression dished pistons. I did a quick deck check and the outer portion of the piston is .050 in the hole and the center is .140 That seems like a lot doesn't it? I'll need to cc the center of the piston to determine dish. I wanted to install some 64cc heads to bring the compression up, but doesn't look like it will achieve much.

Attached Files:

2. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

It depends on what you want it to be. If you just want a smooth cruiser to run on pump gas or a blower motor, lower compression is your friend. Pistons aren't cheap like they used to be...

3. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

4. Indycars

Indycars
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, 0.050" deck height is on the upper limit for providing good turbulence at TDC. Also
    the piston you have has very little quench area, also not as good as it could be. See pics
    below for an example. Now maybe at the compression ratio you have, there is no detonation.
    But if you raise it up, in the neighborhood of 8.0 to 8.25 dynamic compression ratio, then
    the quench area will become important to stopping detonation.

Yes you really need to run the numbers and know exactly what you are dealing with ...... don't guess.

Not good:
    DishedPistonNoQuench.jpg

Much better:
    DishedPistonGoodQuench.jpg

5. 2old2fast

2old2fast
    Expand Collapse

sorta retired
    With all the good/inexpensive parts available you can easily put together a solid reliable 400-450 HP/450 #ft torque sbc for $2500-$3500 , there's really no point in messing w/those pistons/bottom end..

6. roadmonster

roadmonster
    Expand Collapse

Aerospace tech
    I can tell you from experience that 64cc heads are likely to knock on pump gas. I run camel hump heads on a .040 over (357) 310-320 hp motor with thick Felpro gaskets to get the compression down to the low 9s. I had small-valve Power Pack heads at one time with even smaller chambers, but could never quite tune the knock out. Going from about 11.4 to about 9.2 CR really mellowed things out and produced a wide powerband with great sound. If there is any power loss, it's not noticeable. You will lose a little wheelspin and a little 2nd-gear chirp, but that's it.

7. roadmonster

roadmonster
    Expand Collapse

Aerospace tech
    Sorry, just remembered my pistons are flat tops! Looked at some old build photos. If you have about 10ccs or so, small chambers should work fine.

8. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

I too battled the ping monster on my stroker. It had flat top Pistons cast iron 882's, 600 lift, 290 duration cam, dual plane intake with a 750 eddlebrock. I finally resolved it with a timing computer from msd, but the poor fuel quality makes it very challenging to tune a stout street engine. The reduced timing required to try to reduce preignition really defeats the power and kills performance. I spent many hours and dollars tuning that engine. Aluminum heads and reduced deck height helps because it reduces the heat, but high compression engines don't fare well on pump gas.

9. RPM

RPM
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Sponsor

Yep the days are long gone of 12.5 compression on the street and buying Sunoco 260.

10. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

Oh, the good days!

11. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

Yeah . . . Sunoco 260 was blue colored, and Gulf Crest was tinted kinda purple!:confused::rolleyes::eek:

12. volksnut

volksnut
    Expand Collapse

Flat tops on the way...makin my T great again :)

Spanky likes this.

Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! White Rose Technology Ting Mobile Buy VPN

SSL Certificate