Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Coil Overs

Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
My shocks should be close to horizontal I will have to see exactly if any angle there will be but looking for suggestions on coil overs at this point. Like what length and spring rate do you al reccomend. I am thinking maybe in the 200 rate range. Just seeking some input it's time for me to buy a set to help hang the rear end on the frame. I may have 30 degrees of angle on the shocks will have to check tomorrow.

ya meant vertical duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu apparently I wan't thinking very clearly at he time. That's what up at 6am and still up at 2am with a car on brain the next day will do to you. No wonder it got the name the car that ate my brain. Hey, RPM what do those run give me the link to check them out they might suit the bill.

Can't wait to get the shocks hung and see what I got. This project is coming together. I only have a few more things to work out. I need to get a set of rear tires. Leaning toward 31 x 18.5 Hoosier radials. I need to get the steering column worked out. I got a column that I would like to use but need to see bout getting a shaft and internals for it. It is a stainless tube. in the floor bracket. previous owner used it as a mock up piece and it looked good. I want to find a piece of stainless for the fire wall and a window frame I can use with a top. I need to find a torque converter in the 3000 to 3500 stall range and sort out the wiring. I got the motor mount bracket from spirit and like them but am going to have to add a piece of 1/4 plate to them to extend them to meet the frame on the sides. Might even have to have the plates milled to correct size. I need to get the front wish bone locations measured and tacked on. I am to the point of needing to get it welded up. I would like to have it running this summer but still a long way to go here.

Jeff, Look in the tech section for wiring, top, and possibly windshield. You can build/make all yourself.

Anyone know what the best way to make stud shock extentions for coil overs. Speedway sells them but they are pricey for what they are at 23 a piece for the six inch and 15 for 4 1/2 inch. That's nearly 100 bucks just to mount shocks to the mounts. I thought about using aluminum spacers and grade eight bolts if I can find long enough spacers and tap my upper mounts.

Attachments

• DSC02273.JPG
    DSC02273.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC02420.JPG
    DSC02420.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 86
Anyone know what the best way to make stud shock extentions for coil overs. Speedway sells them but they are pricey for what they are at 23 a piece for the six inch and 15 for 4 1/2 inch. That's nearly 100 bucks just to mount shocks to the mounts. I thought about using aluminum spacers and grade eight bolts if I can find long enough spacers and tap my upper mounts.

Jeff...If what I think you are planning is to just thread a tube to the hydraulic shaft and then bolt it to a mounting bracket I would think real hard about using steel to build that spacer tube out of. I'll look at a Speedway catalog later today and see exactly what you're looking at. I'm not crazy about using aluminum in most suspension designs without really thinking out the various loads that design will see. remember, coil overs can see high spring loads where as a stand alone shock only see hydraulic resistance. Just my thoughts and it is early still so all the brain fog has yet to clear.

George

I used grade 5 bolts [1/2" thru bolts] w/ spacers made from left over 7/8" O.D. tubing for upper/lower rear shocks , been on for 14 years & 40K miles.... no problems..... grade 5 is not as brittle as grade 8 , rather have them bend instead of breaking....
dave

my upper shock mounts are similar to yours

Jeff...I missed seeing your pictures earlier so I misunderstood what you want to do. Guess my eyes are right behind my mind in failing. I'll look that Speedway kit up later today but if 2old2fast has the same setup then I would just follow his lead.

I am going to pick some bolts up in a bit just to see what they are going to look like. I might have to ditch the current brackets, but do like them. They were on the frame already and in the right location it looks like to be use. This is no kit car by any means, LOL a kit might have been alot cheaper to build but what's the fun in that. I was thinking aluminum just for the spacers because thats what speedway had on theirs. Looks like I need around 1 1/2 inch or so.

I got some 1 1/2 inch spacers and bolts to get a mock up on the shocks. This is what I have at this point. The mounting looks pretty good but may not be long enough, For the job. Take a look at the photos and let me get your opinions. I know I will have to get some better spacers than these thin wall ones, but this gave me some idea of where I am at. I am in the top hole on the 4 link rear end bracket. Would have liked to been at least in the middle. Which is about one inch difference from where they are mounted. Anyone know how much I can expect the shocks to settle when set on the ground? They are 165 rate at about 10 degrees. I know the photos are not that good but I don't have alot of light in the garage at this point.

Attachments

• DSC02496.JPG
    DSC02496.JPG
    541.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC02494.JPG
    DSC02494.JPG
    499.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02506.JPG
    DSC02506.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02505.JPG
    DSC02505.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02502.JPG
    DSC02502.JPG
    590.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC02504.JPG
    DSC02504.JPG
    527.7 KB · Views: 68
I am wondering if there is a QA1 shock that is a little longer that I can still use the same hardware (Spring, tube etc. on) if I need to?

This is the solution that I have come up with if needed. I found this mount by ridetech. Which if made a little differently and flipped over will extend the shock mounting just fine. I can't just drill another hole because the bolt won't go in. So a block similar to this with a couple holes will probably work good. I just need to know how much travel there normally is in the rear of a 23.

. I just need to know how much travel there normally is in the rear of a 23.[/QUOTE]

That all depends on how big your rider and you weigh.

Ok! I have about five inches of shock travel with 4 1/2 inches to the frame from the front of the axle tube before it makes contact with the frame, so I will need to pick up at least an inch then right? and more like two to three inches to allow for some adjustment in ride height correct?

Ok! I have about five inches of shock travel with 4 1/2 inches to the frame from the front of the axle tube before it makes contact with the frame, so I will need to pick up at least an inch then right? and more like two to three inches to allow for some adjustment in ride height correct?

Not necessarily. It all depends on spring strength/give and how hard it bounces when hitting bumps in the road. I would think under normal circumstances you will only need about 2 to 3 inches of travel. Use bump stops so the frame won't bottom out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back