Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Congrats to Ex-Junk....

Track-T

He's our newest road racer... He'll be driving at THE WORLD OF SPEED this
summer.

The WORLD of SPEED is held at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. It takes place from September 16th through the 19th. I'll be driving an 1988 IROC Camaro that we built to BG/AC (B class Gas/Altered Coupe) regulations. The car is owned by Bob Cox, who just recently sold his fabulous purple T. I did the fabrication, wiring and paint and he did the suspension. The engine is being built by a competition engine builder in Melbourne, Florida.

The car is a dual purpose vehicle because it also competes in open road race events like the BIG BEND OPEN ROAD RACE in Texas in April. (An open road race takes place on closed public roads.)

This year, at Bonneville, we plan on getting acquainted with the whole affair and getting our competition licenses. Next year we plan to go all out. The record for BG/AC is something like 246 MPH.

Jim

Jim, are you pretty certain you are going to be at bonneville this year ? I havent been in a couple years, and my father has never been. If you are going to be there, I will make the plans for us to go too. It would be nice to see you again.
It's only about a 7-8 hour drive for me. The drive from florida, towing, has got to be a long one.... Don't envy you on that one

Unless something REALLY drastic happens, Larry, we plan on arriving the 14th or 15th of September. We will be staying in West Wendover at the Nugget. Nan and Bob's wife, Deb, are flying out to meet us there.

I don't know how good cell phone reception is out there but my number is (407) 754-4879. I hope that you are able to make it as I would enjoy seeing you again. I am really looking forward to the "salt" time but NOT that long drive from Florida.

Jim

Cell phones get a good signal out on the Salt. I have been going to speed week in August for years. Be sure to use the best and strongest sun screen you can find. The sun reflexing off off the salt will burn you to a crisp if you don't. At night it can get a little cool so bring a light jacket.

Thanks for the heads up Duke.

Jim

Here are a couple of shots of the car that we are running. The large graphic on the side is of a Cobra helicopter. Bob was a combat chopper pilot in Nam. He was also a career Army pilot, test pilot and instructor. The REDCATCHER name came from when he patrolled the Russian boarder during the cold war days with a chopper.

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

Jim

Sorry for the double post of the same picture in the above post. Since I could not edit it out, here is the other picture.

IMG_3051.jpg

Please excuse my computer illiteracy.

Jim

Duke said:
Be sure to use the best and strongest sun screen you can find. The sun reflexing off off the salt will burn you to a crisp if you don't.

Very True. Remember that it reflects up... that makes a difference if you wear shorts :eek:

I will give a 90% that I will make it out there to see you. I think Bonneville is one of those things a hot rodder needs to experience. And I want to get my dad out there to see it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back