Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Corvair Steering Box Help

engine24355

Got the bucket out for a little while this weekend and noticed my steering was grinding a little. I have adjusted in the past, but never noticed the grinding before. If need be, how hard is it to rebuild a Corvair steering box? Would like to rebuild (if needed) and try to save the cost of a new one. This is all assumign I cannot adjust out the grinding.

Thanks!!

They are probably one of the most simple to tear apart and rebuild. Once you take the cover off there are very few parts in there, and if you go slow you will see how it all goes back together.

Not sure what is causing the grinding sound. Look for bad bearings and worn gears when you get it apart. I'm thinking bearing.

Don

We rebuild a lot of those steering boxes here in the shop. I have seals, bearings and bushings if you need them. Grinding is not good, sounds like something broke inside. Don't drive the car till it is fixed! But you knew that.

If we can help let me know. RPM 865-932-7541

RPM said:
We rebuild a lot of those steering boxes here in the shop. I have seals, bearings and bushings if you need them. Grinding is not good, sounds like something broke inside. Don't drive the car till it is fixed! But you knew that.

If we can help let me know. RPM 865-932-7541

The grinding is not constant...only at a certain point when you turn the wheel a good ways over. Either case, it needs to be fixed so just doing some preliminary research in case I need to rebuild or buy another box. I may need you to send me some parts RBM.

Thanks!!

you say it makes a noise when you turn the wheel all the way over.....are you running power steering? I have to ask because I had a wounded power steering pump on my old buick that groaned like that whenever you hit the lock on either side.

steering boxes arent that hard to rebuild, I rebuilt the orig box in my dads 55 chevy in a coupla hours at the kitchen table

TheAntiBoyd said:
you say it makes a noise when you turn the wheel all the way over.....are you running power steering? I have to ask because I had a wounded power steering pump on my old buick that groaned like that whenever you hit the lock on either side.

steering boxes arent that hard to rebuild, I rebuilt the orig box in my dads 55 chevy in a coupla hours at the kitchen table

I do not have power steering. You can feel the grinding at a certain spot when you turn the wheel over.

Here is what you will find when you get it disassembled and cleaned up.

CorvairAdjustmentScrew.jpg

Hey george is that an aluminum box innards there?I have an early aluminum one and i have a thrust button that goes in the slot.Yours appears to have an inverted flat head bolt?

Rick...are the threads stripped out of the cover? I have one that someone tried to remove the pitman arm with a hammer instead of a puller and now the threads are stripped out of the cover. Anyone got a parts box with a good cover?

Ron

No mines in perfect shape got it from RPM but all the box's i've taken apart had that thrust button in the slot and an adjusting screw going thru the cover.

heres a blow-up photo....#14 shows a shim on the bolt
corvbox_exploded.jpg

Yes, this is an aluminum Corvair box and the screw is a one piece item that has a slightly dome shaped end that bears against the pitman shaft in the slot. The shim is probably a selective fit to make up for any manufacturing tolerances. The gear teeth on the pitman shaft are tapered and that is how the fit with the teeth on the ball nut is controlled. By moving the pitman shaft inward, the clearance is reduced and backing off on the adjustment increases the slack. Adjust the end play on the wormshaft first with the wormshaft bearing adjuster and lock nut and then adjust the pitman shaft end play. It should have just a little bit of tightness in the middle of the travel.

Thanks for all the great information. I am hoping I can adjust out the grind, but we will see this weekend. I have a feeling that I will have a dis-assembled steering box laying around till new parts come in though.

Took my box off and turned the shaft to see how it felt. I did not feel the grinding in that certain place. However, I am not sure if the box feels right. Should it operate smoothly or should you feel the gears interlocking etc? Thanks for the help!!

Do you have bearings in your steering column that could be bad? Or, just in need of grease.

By all means it is smart to be safe, and then there is also peace of mind driving down the road. If you have any doubts about it and have checked everything else, rebuild it or replace it. The expense is nothing if you have a failure and are hurt or killed. The steering system is critical along with brakes, in my mind the two most important systems on a car. Many other systems are important, but those two can get you killed.

engine24355 said:
Anyone out there have a Corvair steering box or rebuild kit available? To be safe, I think it is better to replace or rebuild. Let me know.

Thanks!

Check your messages. I have a lot of steering boxes in stock, or we can rebuild yours for you. Thanks RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back