Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Vega box with traditional steering

Another issue i read is to reduce the effect of bump steer the draglink should be parallel to and roughly the same length as the hairpins. I hope making the drag link longer won't cause bigger problems

I have seen a box ( may have been Corsair) mounted on top of the frame with the pitman rod sticking down to make bump steer better. These cars have so little suspension travel unless you are way out of parallel I don’t think you’ll notice. You could also modify a Vega or Corvair to have through the cowl steering like old sprint cars.

Found it! It’s from one of our Sponsors even! California Custom Roadsters. Click on name at top of page and go to Steering. Enjoy. Moving steering up like that frees up valuable floor space.

Thanks yall I agree and have been thinking about it all day while out in the garage. I think the reverse corvair box is going to be the best option and easiest to find option. That's what is currently on the car but the previous owner mounted it in a place that makes mounting the exhaust difficult so i want to move it closer to the firewall. This will make the draglink about a foot longer than the radius arms but very close to parallel with them. Like @old round fart said these cars won't see much travel so the longer draglink hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure if i will get a new box all together or send mine out for a rebuild. I would try it myself but I don't have a press which i believe is required. Not sure if
I can use the CCR bracket for the corvair box as i'm not sure if m steering shaft angle will be the same

Have no idea if this will work for you. It did create some problems when I went to a 200-4R trans that has an overdrive and lockup torque converter, but it's working. Pics were taken after the car had not been driven for 15 years.

The pitman arm sticks up and almost touches the bottom of the floor. I don't notice any bump steer.

FP04_SteeringBoxMount_00009.jpg

FP04_SteeringArm_00010.jpg

Thanks @Indycars I don't think that location will work for me but it does show having a drag link a lot longer than the radius arms/ 4 bars won't induce a lot of bump steer. I spoke with a guy i know that builds old vintage hot rods and he says as long as the drag link still passes close to the pivot point of the radius arms on my car it should be fine. I will probably try to get my box rebuilt by RPM or see if i can find a decent box at a swap meet so there is less down time waiting for the box to be rebuilt. I will have to save the Vega box for another project

Your welcome, I figure it was a long shot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back