Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

CT DMV Emissions Change

Getting ready to try and get plates for my bucket, so I vist the DMV web sight and find this...

Effective August 1, 2008 all composite vehicles (except motorcycles) presented for a composite inspection will be required to be equipped with the following emissions systems based on the year of manufacture of the engine used in construction.
Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection.
All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after):
Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year
Pre - 1966 None
1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor
1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System
1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT
1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor
current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection
All Medium Duty Vehicles (under 10,001 lbs GVWR but greater than Lt. Duty till 2004 then under 14,001 but greater than Lt. Duty) with Gasoline Engine were equipped with the controls indicated below:
Pre - 1966 None
1979 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor
1984 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System
1992 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System
2004 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor
current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection

My engine is a 1986, so now I need to add CATs before I get plates, Or I have to find an older engine... OK who has a older for 302 I can borrow?

I'm about ready to give up.........:lol:

You just have to play the game. Get an old (junkyard) engine for the inspection, after you have the plates and title switch it out. But keep the old motor handy.

I would do what Todd said. The engine doesn't have to run good or be pretty, just old. The hard running pretty one goes in after the inspection. The old engine can go in the corner for later. If you are like me, I need a 12 corner garage. :)

It would be cheaper and a lot easier to buy a title online then go to the DMV and tell you want tags a transfer title to this old model T you bought. That wat it is titled as a 1923 or what ever year you come up with.

I think you would still have to have the car inspected. Connecticut has always been tough with Composit / Custom Cars & Motorcycles. Years ago Total sold a set of manifolds that tucked the exhaust inside the frame rails. Headers were bolted on for looks. T Headers were not allowed to be functional. We also have to run fenders, yet I see a few cars locally that don't have fenders ( T's and Roadsters ). What you do after obtaining plates is up to you.

Maybe I am just becoming negative in my old age, but I really fear the days of us building whatever we wanted and getting them legally on the road are coming to an end. More and more States are going to start tightening up their rules, some of it created by the current gas concerns, and the new interest in clean running cars.

I hope I am wrong, but I am afraid of what the future holds for us rodders. :sad:

Don

donsrods said:
Maybe I am just becoming negative in my old age, but I really fear the days of us building whatever we wanted and getting them legally on the road are coming to an end. More and more States are going to start tightening up their rules, some of it created by the current gas concerns, and the new interest in clean running cars.

I hope I am wrong, but I am afraid of what the future holds for us rodders. :sad:

Don

We'll do what we always do... adapt and move on... cause that's what's we do! :eek: We'll just have to have our kids around so they can plug in and tell us what the heck is going on with our future rods! :)

Im going to build another set of headers that will drop down in front of the motor mounts, and they will be ugly as sin. So I may run a full hood.

I'll add the cats, what ever it takes

OK how did they get this law into place without someone like SEMA action catching it or for that matter someone like total performance catching it and giving everyone a heads up to it?how the hell are they going to deal with a boat engine (Mercruiser 4 cylinder)in my T ?

Leon renaud said:
OK how did they get this law into place without someone like SEMA action catching it or for that matter someone like total performance catching it and giving everyone a heads up to it?how the hell are they going to deal with a boat engine (Mercruiser 4 cylinder)in my T ?

First one, That is what came one those year vehicles, so if you have that year you need those items. Not much SEMA can do for that.
Second, The merc boat engine is a car casting, thus the numbers should track back to give you the year.

I hope you have the early casting Leon, it will help you out a bunch.

Disclaimer: If am wrong, please correct the information.

There is one other option available if you have a close friend or family member located in another state with more lenient laws. Ask them to register the car in their state, get a title and then transfer it to you.

I talked to Brian at Total and he's going to address this issue shortly.Hang in there.

Todd said:
First one, That is what came one those year vehicles, so if you have that year you need those items. Not much SEMA can do for that.
Second, The merc boat engine is a car casting, thus the numbers should track back to give you the year.

I hope you have the early casting Leon, it will help you out a bunch.

Disclaimer: If am wrong, please correct the information.
Ya for some reason SEMA is the only group that came to mind I just ment one of the "watchdog"groups that normally are on top of things like this.
Yes I believe its an early engine I haven't checked #s on it yet though has points style distributor and ChevyII style head (non Crossflow) with any luck I'll get it pulled over this holiday weekend some time.I'm pretty set on a 4 in the T and now the Mecruiser is looking like the best choice of what I have wonder how this motor would respond to a paxton :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back