Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the T-Bucket Forums discussions? Then sign up for a free forum account, today!

Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dismiss Notice
Thank you for visiting the T-Bucket Forums! This site was created in 2006, to provide enthusiasts with a place to discuss T-Buckets. Over the years, there have been many imitators, but this is the T-Bucket resource you have been looking to find. We encourage you to register a FREE account and join in on the discussions.

Do You Have The Ford Triton 5.4L 3 Valve Engine ???

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Indycars, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Indycars

Indycars
    Expand Collapse

I have the Ford 5.4L-3V engine in my 2008 Lincoln Navigator that I use for towing. I have
    come to learn about this engine's several known bad designs. Some are minor, but then a $9
    part can cost you $8,000 for a new engine. And lots of problems in between that only cost
    a couple thousand dollars.

Just wondering how many members on this forum have this engine and what they have
    experienced ??? How many miles ?

2. oscar1955

oscar1955
    Expand Collapse

I had a 2007 F150 2WD with 5.4 -3V. At 154,000 mile, engine developed rough running. Had a shop diag it and found a cylinder with previous spark plug repair. Traded it for 2017. Did not want to spend more to repair than truck was worth. Prior to that only expense was normal maintenance.

3. Indycars

Indycars
    Expand Collapse

The engine known for breaking the spark plug top off. A special tool is made just to get the
    remains of the plugs out. There are two styles of plugs used in the Triton 3V.

The plug on the left is your best, the plug on the right is the most likely to break off above
    the seat and require special removal procedures.

FordTechMakuloco is your friend !

Attached Files:

#3 Indycars, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  4. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

I’ve read that you should change them with the engine warm and use a impact on them... no personal experience.