Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Do You Have The Ford Triton 5.4L 3 Valve Engine ???

Indycars

I have the Ford 5.4L-3V engine in my 2008 Lincoln Navigator that I use for towing. I have
come to learn about this engine's several known bad designs. Some are minor, but then a $9
part can cost you $8,000 for a new engine. And lots of problems in between that only cost
a couple thousand dollars.

Just wondering how many members on this forum have this engine and what they have
experienced ??? How many miles ?

I had a 2007 F150 2WD with 5.4 -3V. At 154,000 mile, engine developed rough running. Had a shop diag it and found a cylinder with previous spark plug repair. Traded it for 2017. Did not want to spend more to repair than truck was worth. Prior to that only expense was normal maintenance.

I had a 2007 F150 2WD with 5.4 -3V. At 154,000 mile, engine developed rough running. Had a shop diag it and found a cylinder with previous spark plug repair. Traded it for 2017. Did not want to spend more to repair than truck was worth. Prior to that only expense was normal maintenance.
The engine known for breaking the spark plug top off. A special tool is made just to get the
remains of the plugs out. There are two styles of plugs used in the Triton 3V.

The plug on the left is your best, the plug on the right is the most likely to break off above
the seat and require special removal procedures.

FordTechMakuloco is your friend !

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-15_18-14-49.png
    upload_2021-12-15_18-14-49.png
    468.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The engine known for breaking the spark plug top off. A special tool is made just to get the
remains of the plugs out. There are two styles of plugs used in the Triton 3V.

The plug on the left is your best, the plug on the right is the most likely to break off above
the seat and require special removal procedures.

FordTechMakuloco is your friend !

I’ve read that you should change them with the engine warm and use a impact on them... no personal experience.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back