Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Electrical connectors

I am finishing up my wiring with an eye to taking the body off to paint after I get it licensed. I need ideas as to multi-pin connectors that can be used.

Thanks

John

John,

Look at the wiring diagram pics in my gallery. There you will find some AMP part numbers. Digikey.com sells them. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the drawings along with part numbers for the connectors and pins.

Bill

Sampnanjohn, Sounds like you might be interested in the Speedway weather pack. It's on page 169 in the new speedway catalog. The part number for the four wire plug is 910-12214.
Eric

Unless you plan to run your T in all kinds of weather, fully weather-proof connectors are not really needed. The AMP connectors I plan to use are sealed but not rated as "weather-proof". There are about 25 wires that come out of the body to the engine and chassis circuits. I plan to have an engine harness connector and a chassis harness connector. The drawings are free, so take a look.

Be sure to look at the load you will be applying to the connectors . A lot of the weatherpack and amp connectors are a low current connectors. Dont just assume the connector will handle the current. I purchased a MSD weatherpack connector for the same reason and i called MSD and they told me the connector i thought would be rated at 10 amps( because of the pin size) was only rated at 2 amps.

A valid point, Rooster. The AMP connectors I selected are rated "Immersable" and gas/oil resistent. Each contact with 16 ga wire is rated at 13 amps. According to the AMP application guide, due to the connector load % [number of contacts vs. contact positions], the contacts are derated to 7.15 amps each average. This has to do with how much total current is passing through the connector. Hence, for a short time load [starter solenoid], one could use the contact rating of 13 amps since all the other loads will be much lower than the 7.15 amp rating. The next highest would be the Hi-Beams at about 5 amps.

My brother is a crane mechanic and he swears by Deutz Connectors. They use a lot of them on the MiJack cranes used to lift semi trailers on and off of RR cars. Cummins also uses them on their "big engine" injectors. You push down on the 'tab' to disconnect them so no broken 'ears' like on Ford OEM plugs. I plan on using them on my build, just another option.

The AMP connectors I plan to use are circular and can be bulkhead mounted. Push in to connect then about 1 turn of the lock nut. Sealed and immersion rated. There are various options. These are inexpensive and two connectors will take care of the chassis and engine harness. For battery and ground I'll use feed-thru connections. I want to be able to remove the body without taking the harnesses apart. AMP 206043-4 and 206705-3 are firewall connector numbers. If you look at the AMP web site and search on that part, it will take you to all the info.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back