Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine Upgrade Advice...

Nas T said:
I would go with the blower, you don't need two (LOL). best deal now is the blower shop's 671 run 2 500 edelbrock or holley what ever you prefer i would run the edelbrock right out of the box, scoop 100. bucks on ebay and a set of zoomies but i am afraid you won't like the zoomies except the look, they sound like crap if you baffle them with a small block and there still loud. Run the blower about 3% underdriven and you will never have to worry about anything, run it 1 to 1 and hope your bottom end is tight, if you underdrive it only 3 % will work perfect.
just my 2 cents. You will also love the tunnel ram but without the hit.

Thanks for the advice Nas T. I have looked at the blower shop and others just do not want to spend that much on an upgrade right now (would need whole kit). Think my best bet is to go with the tunnel ram to keep costs down. After all I am going for the coolness factor more than anything else. I cannot use the power I have now. My plan is to spread out the upgrades so my wife does not get too upset...lol. She actually is all for whatever I want to do. I ordered a hilborn style scoop yesterday so that is step one. Probably go with the tunnel ram next, then the zoomies if I still want to try them.

Thansk Again!!

I would love to put a blower on mine but @4 grand for a ford 351w is a little unjustifiable ,,LOL

I think NAS-T has an extra one on his Engine. :D

:eek:.. think he would miss it ..

I thought i would throw in my 2 cents before you went and bought a tunnel ram. I am in the process of building a 350 also and have done some reasearch. Yeah the tunnel ram looks really cool but for street performance they will not help they are ment for high reving drag strip type motors. for my motor i decided to go with a aggressive dual plane intake from edelbrock with a mild cam and a pair of aluminum heads. The heads couls always be ported and polished for extra power to be freed up. this setup should give you a noticeable gain in power and wont hurt the walet as bad as a blower.

I got a 350 with the 64cc Vortex heads, duel plane edelbrock, a mild cam, with a 650 carb. Has plenty of snap and is nice reliable on the street.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been rethinking a tunnel ram for the reasons you have listed. I am not in a rush so we will see. On a different note, I just tried to install my new hilborn style scoop, but it did not even come close to fitting (carbs too close). Now I have to send back and try another one...ugh. Guess I should have measured twice instead of once.

Nas T said:
...i would run the edelbrock right out of the box...
I agree with Ron except for the above recommendation. You will need to change the jets, rods, springs, float needles & seats and pump stroke in accordance with Edelbrock's recommendation (in their manual). Straight out of the box they will be way too lean for a blower motor.

From Edelbrock:

Blown Engines
Two model #1405 carburetors should be used on engines with positive displacement superchargers,
such as GMC 6-71 blowers or equivalent. The following calibration changes make an excellent
starting point: Primary Jets - .101" (#1429); Secondary Jets - .101 (#1429); Metering Rods - .070" x
.042" (#1450); Step-up Piston Springs - 5" (orange, stock); Needle & Seat assemblies - .110"
(#1466).
This calibration has been tested on engines ranging in size from 350 c.i.d. Chevys to 440 c.i.d.
Chryslers with good results.

Here is the link; the problem is that, the verb age is located in the owners manual.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/1000/1405_manual.pdf

Martin F Perez
Technical Department
Edelbrock Corporation

Maybe a single tunnel ram intake and a nitrous plate would look good. Nitrous systems always get looked at, plus you could use the nitrous and gain some hp, when used in moderation Nitrous is cool stuff, when you get greedy with it it will cost you in more ways than one.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back