Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Project Bucket #2, a collection of parts.

Mykk

Hey Guys,

You may know me from my Supercharged BMW V8 Tbucket build. I've been slowly collecting parts that will eventually shape up to a 2nd Bucket build. This project will be a slow burner as finances, time, life and resources allow.

True to form I am putting the horse before the cart. Starting with the engine components and plans.

The first part found that sparked this project is the Polished Holley Strip Dominator single plane intake manifold, acquired from an estate sale. The Demon 750cfm annular booster carburetor was found on the back pages of Holley's website as a factory refurb.

The attention grabbing carb soop is an Arias "Viper". The cylinder heads are a placeholder for now, they are cheap chinese EBay bare aluminum heads that I may... or may not invest the grind and clean up time to run them. I dream of a set of AFR's or Trickflows.

The cam choice is a Schneider Racing Cams solid flat tappet 292-02F, 292°/302°-104°ICL/106°LSA. .550"/.570"

The pistons are Speed Pro H617cp's, 1.560" pin/compression height and +11.8cc volume

I don't have a rotating assembly yet, but planning a simple cast 3.48" stroke crank & 5.7 rods

With 64cc chamber cylinder heads the static compression will land at 12:1 with these pistons. Running that schneider cam the dynamic compression will be around 9.1:1. I have no idea if the the valves will clear the pistons until I can clay the chambers on mock assembly

The block is recently acquired and it's not quite the correct puzzle piece I was looking for. The block is a Vortec era 880 casting, 2bolt still in 4.00" bore. One piece rear, roller cam provisions.

I am still keeping my eyes open for an older 4 bolt 2 piece rear SBC block that I can clean up at .040", but the vortec block would work. It just feels weird running a solid flat tappet cam in a roller block and I'm not looking for the added expense of the roller set up, albeit worth it.

The oddball parts for this engine build that I don't have previous experience with are the pedestal mount shaft rockers for the SBC. I saw them in a catalog and really liked the idea of getting away from rocker studs. So far I can tell they won't clear head studs.

The zoomies are from speedway, these are the ones that guys flip upside down because they won't clear any kind of frame. They are 20" between the banks at the narrowest. I would need to narrow a frame to make them fit.

The only component thus far for the "Car" side of the project is a Jaguar IRS differential

The build of Bucket #2 will have similarities to Bucket #1, simply because that's what I know. Speedway bare frame (For the MSO), manual transmission (5spd?), jag rear end. However this time I am going with a much simpler approach and far less wiring without the EFI.

Check back for (lack of?) progress. -Mykk

Running that schneider cam the dynamic compression will be around 9.1:1.
What kind of fuel are you planning on running, E85 ? DCR of 9.1 won't run on 93 octane.

What kind of fuel are you planning on running, E85 ? DCR of 9.1 won't run on 93 octane.
Perhaps altitude would be on my side, that 9.1:1 DCR get's knocked down to 8:1 at my altitude. Then run some kick butt octane booster for out of town stints?

Your better of than you think. With the Intake Valve Closing angle at 70° ABDC, this really helps with
the DCR. Most SBC aftermarket heads are 72cc and AFR has 75cc combustion chambers. I assumed a
.040" quench distance and .030" over bore.

It would be easy enough to have the machine shop mill some off the piston dome if needed.

That is going to be a very radical camshaft, will you be putting an automatic or standard trans behind it ?

Mykk_DCR.jpg
Don't put too much faith into the cranking pressure. The couple of times I've been able to compare
against the real world it was not very close.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back