Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

flexplate tooth count

Youngn

I have a late 60's to late 70's 350 small block 4 bolt main. it is externally blanaced with both the straight and staggered starter pattern. i have a staggered pattern starter. can i run a 153t or 168t flexplate?

thanks
mark

350 engines were internally balanced. Are you sure that yours has been externally balanced? 400 small blocks were external. A 400 flywheel has 168 teeth, and is external. BUT will the weight be correct? Also you can by just a weight that bolts to the crank and use the 153 flywheel, BUT will the weight be correct? You can sure screw up a balance job by using the wrong flywheel weight.

Since it is internally balanced then I would use the 153 flywheel. This will give you a little bit more room with the starter and the frame. We built one car years and years ago and used a 168 flywheel. When it was all put together we had about .030" between the frame and starter. Too close. Good thing it had solid engine mounts.

Then use a gear reduction starter as they have both both patterns and will work with both flywheels.

Since it is internally balanced then I would use the 153 flywheel. This will give you a little bit more room with the starter and the frame. We built one car years and years ago and used a 168 flywheel. When it was all put together we had about .030" between the frame and starter. Too close. Good thing it had solid engine mounts.

Then use a gear reduction starter as they have both both patterns and will work with both flywheels.

thanks for the info. i am tryn to get the parts to start working on my car again.

thanks
mark

Mark, If you are trying to use the starter you have, the staggered bolt starter requires the 168 tooth flexplate( approximately 14 in). The strait across bolt pattern uses the 153 tooth flexplate( approx. 12 1/2 in) If you have the budget to upgrade, go to your parts store and get the small starter designed for 94 to97 trucks (part # p6449s in most brands) It bolts on to the older engines with the staggered bolt pattern and uses the 168 tooth flexplate. Hershey

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back