Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

For Sale

Easy-peasy. The same way we are pulling technical articles onto the portal page, we can pull posts from an events forum. Do you think we can get some 'reporters' willing to post about their local events? If so, it will take about 10 minutes to set it all up.

mike, i'm not asking for full disclosure, what i would like to see is some way to know if funds are running low is all. that way someone other than you can push for donations, auctions and the like.

Ron

Mike said:
Easy-peasy. The same way we are pulling technical articles onto the portal page, we can pull posts from an events forum. Do you think we can get some 'reporters' willing to post about their local events? If so, it will take about 10 minutes to set it all up.

All we can do is ask. There have been several members who have indicated that they are going to NC for the NTBA event and there are always a few who go to Mountain Home every year. If any of them see any T's that are unique or otherwise catch their eye it would be simple for them to take a few pictures and, if they can find the owners, ask some questions about their cars and write a short article that would cover an overview of the event and a little information about the cars that are there. And at the same time they can ask the owners if they are familiar with Tbucketeers.com and if they aren't tell them how to sign up. It could drum up some new members

i'm 30minutes away from the frog follies, and i'm 1 1/2 hours away from holley's hotrod reunion.. if all goes well this year i plan on visiting both..

i can take pictures, but i'm no journalist, you can probably tell by now :lol:

OK, I've set up a method that will allow everyone to see how we are doing with donations against expenses each month.

If you hover your mouse over the image below, you will see a screenshot of a graphical donations bar. Beginning 1 May, this donations bar will appear on the forum home page, below the forum stack and above the What's Going On module.

It will show what the donations goal is for the month, the amount that has been collected, the percentage of the goal that has been reached and will also show a bar that will provide a quick reference.

Clicking on the Donate Now link will take you to a donations page where you will be able to select the amount of your donation, after which you will be whisked away to a PayPal log-in page, to complete your transaction.

After the payment transaction is complete, you will be returned to the forum home page.

This system has a couple of issues I am not particularly fond of, but we will give it a trial run for a month and see how things work out. If the issues become problematical, I'll remove the system and go back to the simple PayPal payment modules we are already using.

Yes, the monthly donation goal will initially be set at $150/month. I've squeezed every last ounce out of our current package and have discussed our short-term, projected needs with the hosting company. Our next move (hopefully not for another 7 weeks :pray:) will be to a considerably larger package that will run on Enterprise class hardware, guaranteeing us a higher CPU share, more disk space, more transfer and more RAM, which will hopefully cover our needs for several more months. The downside to this will be the increased hosting expense (over double our current expense).

We are blessed to have amazing increases in the volume of visitors and pageviews, but the added volume comes with a price in the form of bigger and better servers to handle the load. Our March traffic numbers were a tick over 21% higher than February and after just 10 days in April, our traffic numbers are already at 54.37% of the March total. Our daily averages indicate our total numbers for the month of April will be up better than 50% over March. And that will necessitate the move to a larger server before June arrives. It's astonishing to see how the site is growing.

The growth is a testament to your hard work ! and the community here ,
Since I joined last year I could home log on and read the 5 new post ,,
Cheez now I get home and like to day their where 137 new post !!
It is great ! I would hate to miss a day I would never get caught back up LOL

thanks again mike ... i feel this will be a big help. once again thanks for the time you put in here. What a guy, huh??:D

Ron

Ditto what Ron said!!! Most of us have no idea what it costs to run a great forum like this!

san-i-T said:
Ditto what Ron said!!! Most of us have no idea what it costs to run a great forum like this!
People think I am joking, but when I lit this site up, I was hoping we could get 250 members. It was a simple vBulletin forum, running on a $6.95/month shared hosting package. The host left a lot to be desired, so we bumped up to a $9.95/month package with another host. We've been with our current host for just over a year and everything is working really well. But the growth rate is off the charts, so we need to get more room to grow. Sadly, that means moving our server expense from about $45/month to $110/month. :eek: :doh:

I'm just about to grab some traffic figures that we monitor on a regular basis and I will post some of those numbers later, so people can see what the growth has been like.

you're a pretty cool guy mike ... even if you wear a kilt once in a while!!! lol

Ron

With the upgrade will it be possible to have a chat room? I go to the Land Speed Racing chat room once in a while and although it is usually just a BS session it can be a source of good information in real time. They just run their chat room for a couple of hours on Tuesday evenings.

I also like the chat session mabye we could flip for moderator so one guy doent have to be tied to it all the time.

a chat room would be so cool!!! this has been brought up before. i think mike was worried about hosting problems or something.

another way to do a chatroom would be to go to someplace like paltalk and set a room up there. i hear you can do that by invitation or open form. don't know for sure but might be something to look into if it can't be done here. then of course there is the ntba chat too.

Ron

Youngster said:
you're a pretty cool guy mike ...
:D

...even if you wear a kilt once in a while!!! lol
See the attachment below. :rofl:

der Spieler said:
With the upgrade will it be possible to have a chat room?
We won't be adding a chat room, for multiple reasons. They are resource hogs, first of all. Secondly, I've seen too many sites where important bits of information are passed along in a chat room and not on the forums. If we post information to the forums, it is there for posterity, it can be indexed by the search engines and found by others looking for the same answer. I do a bit of freelance work for vBulletin forum owners that are incapable of maintaining their own forums and one of the biggest 'backdoors' used by crackers for MySQL injections are chat room scripts.

I'm open to installing different scripts to provide a more robust forum experience to our users, but when a script ends up being a welcome mat for a cracker to hijack a site, I'm not interested.

ok, i gotta come clean here ... my mom's madiden name was macgraffe ... but i ain't got no kilt!!!!!!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back