Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ford voltage regulator wiring question

Mr T Bucket

Using a stock style, 4 wire alternator and the standard old style external regulator. No idiot light.

I have been researching the proper way to wire up this type of setup and have yet to ask the guy at the alternator rebuild place about his opinion on the matter. As best as I can figure, with an idiot light, the wiring would go like this:

alternator's batt to battery
alternator's field to "F" on regulator
alternator's ground to ground (most likely the regulator housing mount/ground)
alternator's stator to "S" on regulator
"A" terminal on regulator to batt + (or switched ignition +, fused power)
"I" terminal on regulator to idiot light stuff

If you weren't running an idiot light, something about exciting the stator is required. It has been mentioned (local yocals, etc) to "probably" just leave the "I" circuit out of the wiring. I have also seen it mentioned (lots of net surfing) to leave the alternator's stator circuit open and connect the regulator's "S" terminal to the regulator's "A" terminal (or fused power).

I have looked at a lot of factory Ford diagrams and all so far have the idiot light included. I'm not ready to start wiring yet, but would like to have this nailed down before too long. Thoughts?

I have something like that and I connected A to S and don't run a stator wire. I did put a diode in the "I" to reduce feedback.

And the stator on your alternator is not wired to anything?

I checked with the guy at the armature/alternator shop. His diagram without light, shows:

A on regulator to batt +
S on regulator to switched ignition
Stator on Alternator not hooked up
nothing connected to I on regulator, but he did mention the diode for feedback issues.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back